Newbie with a string prob

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SpankBass, Mar 15, 2001.

1. I haven't been playing BG for very long, and i've always had the same BG. I don't know why but my strings are very tight compared to every other bass (my friends') i've ever seen. I tried hooking it up to an electric tuner, and it showed that all the strings were tuned just fine. The tight strings sound good when I play with a pick, but its very diffucult when I finger pick. Anyone know why their so tight/how to fix it?
  2. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    It is more than likely the strings that you have on, if you go to a local guitar shop and tell them your problem they should be able to hook you up with a lighter gauge string. When you get more experience and practice in (a while down the road) you will find that the light gauge strings are too loose, because your fingers will get stronger.

BTW, a word of wise, try to avoid a pick, I know that you will more than likely prefer it in the begining, but hopefully if you train properly you will grow out of it, a bass played fingerstyle has much better tone, and you can play faster. Use a pick now, I don't care, but just remember that everybody will tell you to not play with one, or at least that is what I got while learning to play.
  3. Rich Briere

Rich Briere

Jul 5, 2000
    As strange and semi-impossible as it seems....make certain that you're not tuned an octave above where you should be. Although I've only witnessed this WAS ugly. :^>)

What kind of a bass is it? I'd advise going to your local dealer and checking out some new sets that are more to your liking.

Bass-ically Yours,
    Rich Briere
  4. jazzbass1

Dec 2, 2000
    If you want to play with a pick, go ahead, and don't let anyone tell you it's not OK. A great number of famous and not so famous players do it with great success. I would advise you to develop pick and finger picking myself. Don't close yourself off to another way of doing things, try all avenues and find what's best for you. If you're having trouble with the stiffness of strings you're using, try a lighter gauge of string, something with less tension, I use the Labella Hard Rockin Steels, 95/40, they have a nice springy, twangy feel you might like.
  5. thanx to all that replied. I am good with a pick, but I'm struggling with my fingers. I'm gonna get good at both someday....
  6. hey Rich Briere, this may be the appropriate time to admit that when i was a fresh-faced newbie to bass, well... i had that problem. broke my first and only string that way. fortunately my next door neighbor straightened me out, and the bass is actually fine. i love playing it.
  7. sampsonite

Aug 27, 2000
    i used to play only with a pick and i thought it sounded good but then i leanered about finger picking and it feels so awkward at first. just try planting your thumb on one string while you pick with your fingers. i cann't really describe it but i could show you. i mean you just plant your thumb in one spot while you pick with your fingers with practice you'll catch on rich.