1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie with bass/recording question(s)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by pdlstl, Apr 16, 2004.

1. pdlstl

pdlstl

Apr 16, 2004
    Hello,

I have a small home project studio and my focus is recording bluegrass/folk.

I'm hoping that you folks with studio experience wouldn't mind passing on any tips/tricks concerning recording the upright.

Up to this point I've been using an AT 4033 about 10" from the treble soundhole. I read that one should place the mic a little further out to let the overtones have a chance to develop. So, I'm going to try that on a session tomorrow.

What types of mics have you been recorded with? And could you tell me a little about the mic placement used.

BTW, I play mandolin but just aquired a 1949 King Moretone. It had just been set-up by an experienced bass luthier. I bought it to keep it set-up just for the studio. Any tips on caring for this instrument? Somewhere I read about oiling the fretboard. How often?

Thanks in advance for your sage wisdom,

Earl

2. pdlstl

pdlstl

Apr 16, 2004
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    No need to bump a post after 10 hours.

I like to put the bass in a good sounding area and then a good mic a foot or two directly in front of the bridge and maybe below the bridge by an inch or so.

4. Welcome to talkbass.com - lots of nice people (a few old curmudgeons like me), but an enormous amount of information -

Try a search in the DB fora using "recording microphone" as keywords.

Good luck! (have fun…)

- Wil