Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie with bass/recording question(s)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by pdlstl, Apr 16, 2004.

1. pdlstl

pdlstl

Apr 16, 2004
    Hello,

I have a small home project studio and my focus is recording bluegrass/folk.

I'm hoping that you folks with studio experience wouldn't mind passing on any tips/tricks concerning recording the upright.

Up to this point I've been using an AT 4033 about 10" from the treble soundhole. I read that one should place the mic a little further out to let the overtones have a chance to develop. So, I'm going to try that on a session tomorrow.

What types of mics have you been recorded with? And could you tell me a little about the mic placement used.

BTW, I play mandolin but just aquired a 1949 King Moretone. It had just been set-up by an experienced bass luthier. I bought it to keep it set-up just for the studio. Any tips on caring for this instrument? Somewhere I read about oiling the fretboard. How often?

Thanks in advance for your sage wisdom,

Earl

2. pdlstl

pdlstl

Apr 16, 2004
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    No need to bump a post after 10 hours.

I like to put the bass in a good sounding area and then a good mic a foot or two directly in front of the bridge and maybe below the bridge by an inch or so.

4. Welcome to talkbass.com - lots of nice people (a few old curmudgeons like me), but an enormous amount of information -

Try a search in the DB fora using "recording microphone" as keywords.

Good luck! (have fun…)

- Wil