Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie with some questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marineman227, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Ok i'm finally ready to make the move from a combo amp to a stack setup. I'm kind of leaning towards a pre and poweramp setup on top of a 4x10 cabinet but i know nothing about any of that can someone explain this bit about ohms that i keep hearing and how to pretty much set all of this stuff up so i don't blow it up first time i turn it on thanks.

2. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    There’s nothing to it, really. Most bass amps have the pre-amp and amplifier in one cabinet, while you’re merely separating them (but I guess you already knew that). Ohms shouldn’t be an issue at all, because most bass cabinets are 4-ohm, and most power amps are also rated for 4 ohms.

The nice thing about using separates is that you can easily add components to the system – like a good-quality professional compressor (as opposed to those cheap stomp box units), parametric equalizer, etc.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Sounds good that i can't mess anything up too bad then but in the end the talk about compressors and what not you confused me... i have no idea what any of that is

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    All he's saying is that, by using a separate pre and power amp, you have the flexibility to put other signal processors (such as a compressor) in the signal chain more easily. Not a big deal; you don't have to unless you hear a need.

Ohms really only come into play when you're using multiple cabs. If you're using a single 4X10, you should have no impedance issues to contend with.

Just always remember to turn your power amp on LAST before you play, and turn it off FIRST after you play. You don't want to be making connections in your signal chain with the amp on. :eek:

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here's everything you ever wanted to know about ohms...........click here