1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

newbie with the usual questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bonehead, May 4, 2006.

1. bonehead

bonehead

May 4, 2006
    UK
    Hi all

I've decided I'd like to give the bass a try ... :eek:

I'm really a pianist, but I've always listened to Stanley Clarke, Pastorious etc and nurtured ideas producing of smooth bass fireworks.

I'm now going to give it a shot. :help:

So

I find Warwicks are rather beautiful looking things but I don't want to shell out loadsa wonga when I may not get very far.
    That said, I don't want to buy some lump that I never want to pick up. :rollno:

Are there a few models which are recognised as a good beginner bass? One that will keep me going until I finally can justify splashing out on a semi-custom fretless 5-string Warwick? :bassist:

I have played the piano all my life, and have friends and family who are musicians so I am familiar with what features are generally desirable/undesirable in instruments.

All info/advice appreciated.

TIA

B

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I think a Fender Jazz is always a good place to start. It all depends on what style you want to play and what budget you have.

Oh, first step to playing bass is writing Jaco's name correctly ;)

3. bonehead

bonehead

May 4, 2006
    UK
    A noble instrument to be sure, but not exactly cheap! The Curbow range looks attractive, BWTHDIK

Grovelling apologies for the scr3w-up with the de-fretted Fender-wielding Mr. Pastorius!

B

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Where are you from btw? Best to fill in your profile, that way we can better adjust our answers to your specific needs ;)

5. bonehead

bonehead

May 4, 2006
    UK
    sorry! UK, near London

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Bumpage, UK'ers could give you a fix :D

7. Well, if you're gonna be getting a full on Warwick, you could look at Rockbass. They're to Warwick what Squier is to Fender, except much higher quality.

8. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    +1 on the Fender Jazz. Even the MIM's are usually good.

9. bonehead

bonehead

May 4, 2006
    UK
    Rockbass.
    Cheers ... I'll gohavalook

10. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I have been playing since the mid 70's and have tried a number of basses. This past winter I purchased a Cort Curbow 5. I highly recommend them. It's a lightweight bass and has one of the sleekest looking bodies around. My CC5 is now my primary bass -- when I pick up my old bass (which was my "trusty side-kick for most of the past 20 years), I can't believe how heavy it feels compared to the CC5. I almost feel guilty that I like the CC5 so much.

Craig

11. geddyleewannabe

geddyleewannabe

May 4, 2006
    Bone, I'm somewhat where you are as well. I'm willing to bass a serious try and settled on the Japanese made Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass as a $700 "beginner" model. I, too, was looking, bidding on Warwicks on ebay and just missed some deals. All I've heard is good on the Geddy for an intermediate priced bass. I wanted to steer away from the junk stuff too. Until I improve, I want to be the weakest link......not the equiptment. Good luck. I was planning on giving myself a few lessons by DVD or online to get a little familiar before seeing an instructor. I need help understanding "program" versus "RMS" in amps. Anyone know?

12. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    The Jazz Bass (mexican) is really a great bass and not that expensive. The warwicks are great basses and well crafted but not necessary to learn on. Having a Jazz in your arsenal is always required though! Nothing else can match it.
    For example: I have a six string thumb bass, which is my main instrument, but I have two jazz basses as well. You can't beat 'em!

13. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Another vote for the made-in-Mexico Fender Jazz Bass.

14. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

far superior to my first couple of basses and not all that bad. I bought one as a bass to experiment on and have grown fond of it. I gotta get the stinking round wounds off of it though.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

15. I concur with both the options expressed earlier in the thread - a good Jazz Bass will be a friend for life. If you look around on Ebay, you could find yourself a nice JV-series Squier Jazz (every bit as good as a US Fender) for about £3-400.

The Cort Curbows are great basses too, especially now they make them with wooden bodies and fingerboards instead of the Luthite and phenolic. A little difficult to play on your knee since the bottom horn is so small, but not insurmountable, and a good range of tones on offer. The fretlesses (alas, still with phenolic fingerboards) sound great too.

16. OK, if you can get yourself into London I advise that you try here: http://www.basscentre.com , two minutes from Liverpool Street station. They're pretty good about letting you try stuff out so you can have a go and see what you like. Also, the prices are good.

As to basses, it really does depend on what feels good in your hands. I tried a MIM Fender Jazz a couple of weeks ago and it just didn't appeal to me, though as you can see many others love it. Give yourself an afternoon and play plenty of basses, you'll find something that's good for you.

And believe me, GAS is a powerful master, so it probably won't be your only one for long.

Cheers