Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

newbie wondering if he got a deal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Barnacle Joe, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Hi, I've played guitar for a while but my band recently found a guitarist who is way more awesome than me and we all mutually decided (no hard feelings, i wanted to buy a bass rig anyway but couldn't think of an excuse to drop $500+) that it would be better for us to have a guitarist and a bassist instead of a lead and rhythm guitar thing going on. I took a gamble on ebay and did pretty well, I bought a 2 year old Standard Jazz V+case for 250 in 2 year old condition (just a couple little scratches on the back not beat up by any means). Anyway now I need an amp..I was going to buy an SWR LA15 new (299/free shipping music123.com) but did some research and it seems the Ampeg BA-115 would be a bit more awesomer and better made (not to say swr stuff is crappy its just you know lower end stuff often doesnt get the same constuction quality as the thousand dollar stuff) yet a little higher priced. Soo, i watched ebay auctions, one went for like 360 something i think, and another went for 303ish (plus shipping on both), but i saw one in the paper for 275 (glad i didnt get one on ebay...). I called the guy, its been used in a church for 2 years, never really even moved in 2 years, and he said he'd take 250. Seem like a deal to you guys for a first bass amp? it seems reasonable to me, but I'm going to check it out tommorow (long drive). Anyone had an experience with the amp (particularly bad experience?) Thanks for your time and I hope I can become a regular on the forum :rolleyes: .

2. well, i would say that it's possible to get a bigger and better amp (like 200 watts) if you look into cheaper brands like yorkville, but for 250 bucks, your sure as hell not getting ripped off, considering it's 200 off the regular price

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Different amps have different sounds. For instance, SWR's are known to be rather "hi-fi" and amps such as Ampegs and Ashdowns are known to be more "wooly" and bassy.

What I'm saying is - don't make price your guiding criterium.....get something that pleases your ear, even if it is a smaller amp.

4. I'd recommend gettin a Peavey TNT 115 or Combo 115.

5. $250 sounds good to me. Buy it if you like it, not because you can. If it ican't do what you want it to you'll be looking for something else soon. By then the price won't matter.

6. ..................or you can scam someone and say it's brand new and then get something you really want

7. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The LA15 is pure garbage. NO volume or tone. The BA115 should work out for you just fine. My old roomate had one and it sounded like...bass. No frills, just solid, loud bass. Get it and try it. You can always sell it again once you figure out if it is the tone you want or need more volume.

8. Thanks everyone for you input, like i said i'll take a good look at it tommorow before making a decision, but it looks like i'll probably get it, if it ends up being not what I wanted in a couple weeks I'm pretty sure I could get my 250 back out of it, maybe even a little more judging by what I've seen on ebay. I'm not too into the hifi slap thing at this point. I considered a TNT, i'm sure they are great quality amplifiers but as a guitarist i've had soo much peavey gear (with good results and excellent reliability) but I'm ready for a change of scenery to be frank (one of the reasons I bought a Fender bass instead of a Peavey).

9. Well I ended up buying the ba-115 as expected. Wow coming into the bass scene from a guitarists prospective makes for a strange experience, I expected 100 watts to be more than enough than anything I'd ever need to do, I mean it'll be fine but I just expected unbearable loudness with the volume below 5. Our drummer is actually rather tame and respectful so it's all good. Also the equalization is weird from what I'm used too, the volume is more in the EQ settings than in the "volume" control (volume + master, doesnt really make sense to me on a solid state amp, maybe someone can explain the point of this?). The rca ins are completely pointless....dont you guys think 100 watts +15" speaker (60+ pounds) is a little over doing it for a practice amp? The amp produces a little hiss too but I can live with it. Those are the downsides i've discovered thus far (why are downsides so much easier to see than upsides sometimes? kinda like when you go looking for a used car and you find something in perfect mechanical condition but the paint is peeling and you're like "yo dat junk's busted") However, I'm finding a few of the various tones are quite usable and I can kind of see why that sort of sound is described as "wooly", not sure how but that just seems to fit really well, and I like that sound a lot, happens to be exactly what I was looking for. We'll give it another couple weeks, I think it's gonna be cool.

10. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The RCA ins are for a cd player so you can jam along with it or even a drum machine. The hiss may be tamed by bringing down the treble a tad. It should have the volume to practice, jam and do small gigs with PA support using the output. It is better to have more volume than less.

I remember bringing my old 80 watt Peavey to jam with a Marshall stack. I couldn't even hear myself with my head pressed to the grill and the volume up to 10.

Also, you don't have to upgrade to a louder amp anytime soon.

Have fun! :bassist:

11. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    They also say that a bass player should have at least three times the wattage of the guitar player. It's common for players around TB to have at least 300 watts, some up in the 1,000 range. I'm not playing stadiums, but 300 does great in my band situation. I don't use it all, but I have it there if needed.