Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IrishBassist, Oct 6, 2003.

1. IrishBassist

IrishBassist

Oct 4, 2003
    Ireland
    hey evryone. ive been playing bass for about 5 months now but im not sure about some things. could anyone tell me anything at all about pre-amps, pickups and middle knobs on the bass. my current bass just has tone and volume and i was wondering what effect a middle knob would have. that and i have no idea what difrence pickups or pre-amps make

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hey Irish welcome to TB! Typically more that one knob on a bass besides volume will be onboard EQ (bass, treble, midrange) and sometimes a pickup selector.

Preamps are used together with power amps and both together amplify your sound. Preamps shape the signal thats sent to a power amp and the power amp is what makes it loud! :bassist: Most bass amps are self contained and have the pre amp and power amp together in the same unit (called a head). A lot of people like the separate setup because you can change preamps and the advantage of this is that each preamp has a different sonic character. I recommend searching this website and you will learn a lot from the wealth of information available!

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Not really GI stuff, let's go to Misc.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist: