1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IrishBassist, Oct 6, 2003.

1. IrishBassist

IrishBassist

Oct 4, 2003
    Ireland
    hey evryone. ive been playing bass for about 5 months now but im not sure about some things. could anyone tell me anything at all about pre-amps, pickups and middle knobs on the bass. my current bass just has tone and volume and i was wondering what effect a middle knob would have. that and i have no idea what difrence pickups or pre-amps make

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hey Irish welcome to TB! Typically more that one knob on a bass besides volume will be onboard EQ (bass, treble, midrange) and sometimes a pickup selector.

Preamps are used together with power amps and both together amplify your sound. Preamps shape the signal thats sent to a power amp and the power amp is what makes it loud! :bassist: Most bass amps are self contained and have the pre amp and power amp together in the same unit (called a head). A lot of people like the separate setup because you can change preamps and the advantage of this is that each preamp has a different sonic character. I recommend searching this website and you will learn a lot from the wealth of information available!

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Not really GI stuff, let's go to Misc.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist: