Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joey3313, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Yesterday some friends talked me into learning and buying a bass, so I bought an Ibanez EDB690. I payed $440 Canadian for it, and I was wondering if that was a good deal, and if anyone has opinions on that bass.

Also, I was wondering, where would I start to learn? Should I just buy a book or find an instructor? Thanks.

2. Welcome to Talkbass. The bass that you bought got some pretty strong reviews at Harmony Central. Sounds like you got a good deal.

I recommend you find a good bass guitar teacher since you are new to bass. Not a guitar teacher who teaches bass but someone who knows the theory and technique for bass. Books can be useful but nothing beats a real instructor. (I wish I had one when I started...)

Another good way to learn is to post around Talkbass a lot. Make sure you post in the right forum or else it'll take longer for people to respond.

BTW, I'm assuming you are Canadian. Where are you located? There are a number of Canadians residing around here.

3. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I am in Medicine Hat (crappy city like three hours south of Calgary).

Thanks.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    EDB690, very nice first bass.

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You got yourself a very nice first bass and a good deal at that. Getting a teacher is an excellent idea. rabid_granny's statement about getting a real bass instructor is excellent advice. I took lessons once and it was a guitar player teaching bass (contrary to what the owner of the store told me). I quit when I had to teach him how to play bass. So yes, get a bass instructor who actually plays the instrument full-time.

Welcome to Talkbass. You're going have fun here. :)

Dan :bassist:

6. i love it when some one picks up the bass and yes you got a good solid bass that you wont out grow for a while.
    As far as taking lessons make sure your not giving some one your hard earned money to teach you bits and pieces of songs thats not really learning.
    Comming from some one who teaches the first things you need to do are some exerciese to develop good left and right hand techniques and learn the names of the notes on your fret board starting with your open strings E A D G and moving on from there dont try to learn all of them at ounce but take it a few frets at a time. when you have that look me up and we can move on from there.

7. Christle and metalhead400ho mentioned some good points too. The music store owners that I talked to while looking for a bass teacher mentioned how a lot of younger, newer players would come in and ask the teachers how to play the parts of songs off the radio. They felt they were wasting their money because if they spent their money on theory and technique, they could figure that stuff out on their own.

8. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Thanks for the help guys, and I must say that I am glad that I found this place. I am looking into finding a teacher next week. There is a few places in this city that do lessons, so I will go there first.

When I bought the bass, I did not buy an amp, so if anyone has some ideas on certain types, feel free to share (my budget is about the same amount I payed for the bass).

9. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    For amps... try to get used stuff. It's a LOT cheaper so you can get better deals.

Try to get an Ampeg combo, or hell, my Marshall 25 watter isn't bad for $200... I think it's a B25. Peavey's got decent cheap stuff, Yorkville, which reminds me, check the "amp buyers guide" thread. Download the guide, it's got prices of a bunch amps, including combos.

10. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    awesome. i didnt have that nice of a bass when i started out, but i wouldnt have it any other way. i taught myself. ive never picked one of those books up either. i found a lot of help from bass101.com. they have some nice lessons on their. it was a slow moving journey, but im finally to the point that im not exactly satisfied with my abilities on the bass, but i can survive even survive playing by ear with the old people in "big church." i dont want to discourage you from getting lessons, i just never had them and i didnt really need them. i never ahd the money when i started out to pay for lessons or instructors. so, if you got the money, id buy a nice instruction book with lots of pictures and a few lessons to start you out. hope something here is profitable advice.

brian

oh, concerning amps...i never had a real first amp. my first amp was my kareoke (i so spelled that wrong) machine. it isnt very loud, but it worked for me. i would try maybe a peavey microbass. ive heard good things about them. at one point i had a headphone amp but some guitar player who used to live in our house broke it. i had a rogue amp at one point i believe it was the cg-50, but my brothers band blew it up. i think shaun was doing vocals (screaming) in it. so, a small amp from a good company.

11. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
  12. Welcome to TB.

[​IMG]

If you spend a fair amont of money on a great bass instructor the possibilities as a bassist are endless.

I studied in school and had private lessons which lead me to session work, because I can read and play by the seat of my pants.

Your future lies in the decisions you make now!

[​IMG]
    Treena

13. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Wow, I am actually shocked at how nice you guys are...a lot nicer than all those damn drummers (I'm a drummer as well).

14. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    my future lies in the decisions i make now? ...oh man, that stinks.

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Welcome to the site first off.

You have a nice bass to own, not just to start on. :) As far as amps: Peavey Microbass, Ampeg B-series combo, Fender BassMan 25. Unless if you're looking to play out soon i wouldn't worry about anything more than that [not very powerful]. My first amp was a Fender BXR 15, 15 watts @ 8ohms through a single 8 inch speaker. Wasn't bad at what it was made for [bedroom practice, alone, or with a CD Player]. Now i'm in the process of getting a 2k watt Rig :D

I DEFINATELY would get a teacher. I tried to teach myself and just learn from what i read [i also played cello], but once i started to take lessons my ability made bigger leaps and bounds than i could ever have made without the lessons. Now, i still take lessons and i plan on taking them until either i have enough gigs where i don't have time, i run out of time for bass due to getting a real job and possibly kids [i'm only 17-i'm talking future],or i quit bass [when i meet the grave]. I play bass for around 5-6 bands a semester and i must say that aside from lessons, playing and reading so much has increased my playing tremendously. I get more experience in 1 semester than that of a band kid who plays for only 1 band a semester will in 3 years. Moral of all that-more you play, generally the better you will get. :)

That's all

16. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I was thinking I want something more than just a 15W practice amp. I know that within the next few months I will be joining a band, so I want something that will be heard over the rest of the guys.

17. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Then look at something in the 100-200 watt range. I have a Yorkville XM100 that cuts through rather nicely. In fact it is rather loud for a 100 watt amp. It is affordable as well. I also suggest you check out Peavey and Fender's new Rumble line.

Dan :bassist:

18. welcome welcome always good to have a nother person on the forums. anyway nice bass man its better than mine got i hate havin a crappy base but anyway i have advice for you on an amp. I am supprised ox hasnt beaten me to this one. i say go yorkville. the xm200t is a nice amp it gets good reviews and pumps out a chunky 200 watts great starter amp that will easily be heard in a garage band or small gigs. its got 2 10" speakers and a jack for a extension cab. would be a real nice amp if u plugged in a 1x15 extensoin later on anyway thats my input the yorkville xs200t look it up on yorkvilles site anyway hope u find the amp u want and congradulations on the bass. peace out

shayne

19. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    After checking some prices, I found that the 100W Fender Rumble is in my price range...prehaps, unless anyone has a better idea for that price?

20. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Since this is a bit of a mixed topic, I'm going to move it to Misc...