Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mark_palmer17, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Hi. i've only been playing about a month. I was just looking for general tips i.e. first songs to try. I own a Yamaha RBX170 i no sod all about basses how would you rate them.

Cheers

2. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    general tip: dont ask for general tips ;)

well really uhm, im my opinion there really isnt any song you should try over any other....

to me the most important thing you should be working on now is getting your hands strong, and make them not seem so "lame" on the fretboard. i recomend playing with a pic at first until you can get your fretting hand strong and semi-coordinated. youll have more confidence to play if you dont start and go into fingerstyle, because its kinda easy to play with a pick, and you can focus on your fretting hand more

try doing excersizes (like fret 1 finger 1, fret 2 finger 2, fret 3 finger 3, fret 4 pinkie, 1234, then down to the next string, could be any fret you feel comfortable, 5678 would be good to start, then move up to 1234 when you get stronger) with your thumb on the back of the neck at first, then try to do the same things with no thumb on the neck, and just your fingers, no clamp action with your thumb, that will help build strength and get you more confident in your playing...

also trying to play things that you make up will be good help

good luck! :)

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I mostly agree with mans0n, but I do not agree about the pick. You may find that playing finger style is just as easy as playing with a pick unless of course you are a reformed guitar player and have pick experience. I recomend you do not use a pick unless you are going for the specific sound that a pick provide and that is the only style your into learning. I think it's best to learn ALL styles of strumming, but I would suggest you start playing finger style, then later learn to use a pick, slap/pop, tap, etc., after you've been playing awhile you'll know where you want to focus your energy, but for now (and for the rest of your life) finger style will serve you quite well - but thats really getting away from what you are asking...what should you try to learn to play - I think that you should try play music that you like to listen to. Try to keep it simple, if you are a big Primus or Rush fan you might not want to start off trying to play Gedy Lee's or Les Claypool's bass lines - maybe find something that you like that was written by less technical players. When I first started I played a lot of Nirvana (okay, I still do) Try everything and see what you can do and what you like.
    I would recomend that you learn to play the blues. A twelve bar blues pattern can be pretty easy to pick up and can be a lot of fun. It's a style that has influenced a lot of other music and can be a great intruduction to the concept of chord progressions. Once you have the basic idea, you can make up your own riffs and play blues lines with a lot of different feels. Its a pattern that most musicians are familiar with and can get you jamming with others pretty quickly.
    As far as your bass goes, I'm not real familiar with Yamaha's, but I've heard a lot of good about them. You are a beginer so you really don't need any thing more than a basic beginer bass. If it's in good working order I'll bet it's a perfect instrument for you right now. Whatever you do have fun, and congratulations on your excelent choice of becoming a bass player. Welcome to the bottom end.

4. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    Umm, for general tips, you've come to the right place. Read these threads, and other forums too... There is a lot of info hidden away in TB threads... If you want something in particular do a search... Then post a question if you can't find the answer...

Welcome to TB:)