Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MuShRoOmhEaD, Oct 12, 2002.

1. MuShRoOmhEaD

MuShRoOmhEaD

Oct 12, 2002
    Yes its only been a motnh any tips :)?

2. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Practice.

3. ...every day for an hour, for the first two months.
    :D

4. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    tip: work on your typing
    tip: dont give up

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    1) Have fun. That is important.
    2) Get a teacher.
    3) Be patient.

Good luck!!

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    StupidMatt's Top 5 Talkbass Tips

5) Post in the wrong forum, it gets the most attention.
    4) Start up a insult war with the mods, they get a kick out of it.
    3) Be obscene, it's funny
    2) \/\/rIgHTtt rEEhly kewL
    1) Start a few pro Fieldy threads

7. stupidmatt.....

(re: your advice)

as newman would say

'EEex-cellent!!!!'

:D

8. Two words: Finger protecters, Got it?

9. Hilikus

Hilikus

Jul 29, 2002
    Wales UK

Only my index finger hurts:oops: Its the E string I tell you!!!!

10. Practice stuff you like while learning to read music. Get private lessons, if possible, as soon as possible.

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    My first tip to you is, learn where the propor places to post your threads are. This should be in general instruction, not bassists, since you are seeking "instructional" advice on how to play.

Next tip: learn the propor way to hold the bass, propor finger positioning, scales, arpeggios both major and minor, (in all 12 keys, in the order of the circle of 5ths)

btw, welcome to the wonderful world of bass geetar ;)

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My tip: Learn at the pace that is most comfortable for you and not some preconceived notion...such as I have been playing six months now, therefore I should know everything about theory, read standard notation really fast, be able to slap, pop, tap, play fretless, walk over changes, and play in ten different tunings like Micheal Manring.

Set a goal of steady progress in the areas most important for the style of music you wish to play now, but you will feel only frustartion if you try to play like a pro right off the bat.

Also, don't measure your progress against someone else who started at the same time as you. Everyone learns at their own pace and in their own manner. Measure yourself against yourself. For example: In four weeks you can play the major scale in every key. In the next four weeks you can play the minor scale in every key. Whatever goals you set, make them attainable and make them steady. Don't get discouraged. Some skills will come easily; others may come harder and slower. Just keep on trying.

13. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hi and welcome to Talkbass and the bass itself! :)

I noticed the sad smiley icon in your title so I was wondering if you are sad/frustrated at something in regards to your playing? (Or was it just b/c you are a newbie hehe :D). What have you been learning/playing? Do you have a teacher? Do you have any goals set? etc...

Good tips have already been given so I'm not going to repeat them, but you might want to check out DUURL'S great thread containing lots of informative links here at TB:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56761

Good luck! :)
    Stephanie