Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie's Question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by gooble, Oct 27, 2000.

1. gooble

gooble

Oct 22, 2000
    Just came back from my _first_ jamming session today
    *clap clap clap* =p and i hadn't really played bass before but was just interested in it
    (a real one...before that i was just fooling around on my guitar)

Today I got to play bass yah. its fun, but when i was playing, i noticed i sounded absolutely HORRIBLE on it hehehe
    maybe it was the lack of actual playing on the bass...i started out playing normal root chords and stuff, and when i tried adding in stuff of my own (i did some filling based on pentatonic scales).. but i sounded so bad..ugh...are there any pointers for beginners ? =) like what are the mistakes newbies usually make, what u guys learnt as u played the bass etc =)

Bass rocks, i think i'm gonna throw my guitar away =P

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  4. The most common mistake for guitarists that take up bass is overplaying. You're not playing a lead for the entire length of the song.

One quick tip: I'm assuming that your're playing rock. Listen to the drummer's bass pedal and lock in with that. Even if you're just playing the roots you'll sound decent.

From there I suggest you take some lessons with a good teacher.

Keep jammin' and have fun!

5. One thing i found, and I don't know what its like to go from guitar to bass as Bass rules and i would never dream of playing guitar! :D ohh sorry wrong forum. lol Anyways, the most common thing i found was trying to play too quickly or too much at one time. Like you may be able to play some kick ass sh$t on guitar but then the band says "hey play so and so" the same song but on bass, and it can be totally different.

If worse comes to worse, just play along with the basic rhythm of the song, hell i do and my band is none the wiser! :D Shhhh I didn't tell you that! plus I'm incredibly lazy hehehee

Oh BTW *starts running around in circles flapping arms* Starts chanting, " i made 200 posts of utter crap! woohooo, now thats an achievement"

...I'll go back to Off Topic now..... where us weirdos hang out. :)