1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

newBilly Sheehan/Richie Kotzen/Mike Portnoy band?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by corinpills, Jan 25, 2012.

1. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That's what I'm hearing via interweb gossip. I know that Billy and Mike Portnoy were working on songs for a trio with John Sykes (Whitesnake/Thin Lizzy) that Eddie Trunk (from That Metal Show) was pre- hyping. Now Sykes bailed and Billy says they are going to continue with "another singer/guitar player). Eddie Trunk is a major fan of Richie and, of course, he and Billy played in Mr. Big together. That would be a pretty formidable lineup with those two and Mike Portnoy on drums.

2. Noonan768

Noonan768

Jul 6, 2009
    St Johns, FL
    At NAMM last week Portnoy debuted a band with Mike Portnoy, Billy Sheehan, Derek Sherinian & Tony MacAlpine.
    And it ROCKED. Check it out on YouTube.

3. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I saw that, wasn't it more of a NAMM jam? I mean, who knows with these things, but I hear they were writing songs for this John Sykes project- with vocals- and Billy said they were going to continue in a trio setting with "another guitarist/vocalist". Nobody sings lead in the quartet you mentioned above.

I know Richie has a bunch of dates in Europe in Feb. and March booked. Funny, I thought this would be something bass geeks would be all aflutter about; 3 serious virtuosos there, capable of extreme musical situation, but more geared towards good songwriting. I'm pretty interested to hear what those two will sound like with Mike Portnoy.

4. I would like to hear Mr.Sheehan in a straight up,full blown prog-rock setting.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Why Kotzen isn't a bigger name is a mystery to me. Awesome talent all around!

6. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Portnoy is killer, I'd love to hear this band! I hope it happens!

7. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Obviously, Richie and Billy have a history from Mr. Big, but there was also a tour of Japan that they did as the Richie Kotzen band, opening 7 shows for the Rolling Stones a couple of years ago- which is not too shabby gig, really. I just think it would be really interesting to hear them with a drummer like Mike Portnoy. They could take off into the stratosphere with that lineup.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
  9. He was probably black-balled for cock-blocking his band mates in Poison.

10. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I know its just a jam but, listen to him playing with Alex and Neil of Rush using Geddy's Wal...THAT is AWESOME!

11. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

Dec 19, 2010
    I like the sounds of throwing Tony MacAlpine in the mix. I'll definitely be looking into that even if it is just a NAMM group.

12. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Sherinian is redundant. Tony plays keys better than he.

13. Tony's too straightforward on keys (but he can play anything on Earth).

Derek knows how to make them WAIL. He's amazing and his tones are second to none.

14. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That was 20 years ago. He has released 15 albums since then, toured all over the world, worked with Stanley Clarke, written a top 10 hit in Japan with Mr. Big. It's not really kosher to define somebody by 30 seconds of a Behind The Music.

15. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Kotzen is a KILLER guitarist and singer. Its unfair for someone to be so talented and good looking

16. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    just ran into this on facebook ...this is the best news i've heard in a while! huge Richie fan here ...

17. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    your right ...Richie has some great solo albums ....if anyone is interested check out "Slow" ...my fav!

18. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's crazy talk!

I love T Mac, but Sherinian is AWESOME on keys. He's just got such a great style.