Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbism: What is a PA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plucky, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    ive heard like a bizzilion times a PA, even though i tried to figure it out i stopped thinkin cuz my brain hurts too much when i do. also could you explain how it is used and how do YOU use it............?

thunckz!

2. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Pro Audio system. At smaller venues and practices usually only vocals go through the PA system. At larger gigs, everything (drums, guitars, bass, vocals ect...) are run through the PA system. The PA contains a mixer board and a power amp that send all that good sound to the speakers.

3. i have a PA (a 600 watt not too big) and some good speakers but i never knew that it stood for pro audio. are you sure thats what it stands for? not that i doubt you, i just thought it stood for something else.

peace,
    John

4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    um..I always thought PA stood for Public Address :confused: I have seen some PA's that were nowhere near Pro equipment :eek: ;)

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    PA is Public Address system.

Those small speakers in the ceiling at school that you hear announcements on? That's a PA system. So is that monster Clair Bros. rig you might see at a stadium show.

BTW MC means master of ceremonies. Pretty cool, huh?