1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newcomer from North Texas area

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by RBCulver, Feb 18, 2015.

1. RBCulver

RBCulver

Feb 18, 2015
    Hello!

My name is Rich. I have seen this site for years, but only now joined. I am a 42 year old father of three teenagers, drive school buses part-time, and am working toward my teaching certification. I have a love for medieval languages outside of music. I live in The Colony, TX.

I am recently back to playing bass after years of trying after a series of injuries and life events. My senior year of high school, I was diagnosed with severe ulna neuropathy in my right arm, which caused about 50% of my muscle strength and mass in my right hand and forearm. I was asymptomatic (no tingles. etc.) so by the time I noticed the atrophy, it was pretty severe. So a year later I gave up bass and sold my gear. My hand function was so bad, I couldn't hold a pencil at time and even had to learn to write with my left hand. In the late 90's I actually played drums for a bit so I had something musical to do, yet even then I had to adapt my grip due to the damage.More recent years, I developed Dunlop Hertco thumb picks to help me play as well as teaching myself slap techniques.

Not in any bands, but I am looking. At this point, I'd take a band of bass players and a drummer. :p

My bass: My bass is an Ibanez Roadstar II RB924. I've owned others, but this is my newest...and old oldest. See, it is the exact same color, make, and model as the very first bass my parents bought me at 13. Still a great bass and a living piece of nostalgia.

2. Welcome and good luck with the teaching certificate. I finished my BS in Business when I was 48, most of my studying was done at 30,000 feet and in hotel rooms while traveling. Memories; glad that is behind me. But it was worth it.

Glad you decided to join us.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. TonyN

TonyN

Jan 27, 2020