1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newer Eden heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Jul 3, 2012.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    So what's the skinny on the newer Eden heads? I have an older WT400 I just bought. Its converted me (for the moment) from the class D heads I have. I love it but could use a bit more headroom on some gigs. I know Eden has been bought and sold a number of times. So....

How would a WT550 head be from the last few years? As good as ever, or suck city?

2. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    I have a newer 400wtb. sounds great but broke down after about 5 months. my tech said its a very common issue with the newer China made Edens. easy fix , under warranty but....

3. PatO

PatO

May 21, 2006
    Colchester VT
    I've got the wtb300v and I love it. With a minor exception that the power tubes slip a little everytime I take it somewhere. I put wing tip screws on the back grill for easy on/off access to reset the tubes. The sounds from this amp are heavenly though.

4. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    The little bit of headroom won't make much difference. If you're running the head at 4 ohms, that's only 100 watts more. I doubt you could hear the difference in volume. Now if you added a cabinet or cabinets to get down to 2 ohms with the WT550, that would be noticeably louder.

5. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think what I'm after is more about product quality of the newer heads. As far as wattage, I think its more headroom than volume for those low C's and B's.
    Although I must say that my WT400 seems to have almost as much volume as my Genz 9.0 at 8ohms. It certainly has more girth.

6. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    No body's compared the older with the newer Eden amps??
    I don't want to have a prejudice against amps made off shore, versus amps made in America. If the new ones are just as good, I'll buy it.

7. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    Like I said before, if you are running at 4 ohms, 100 additional watts isn't really going to do much for you in terms of volume or headroom. Get the WT550 and add another 4 ohm cabinet and that will solve your problem.

If you're concerned about the build quality of newer units, look for an older WT550 used. They are very well built.

8. It shouldn't do that. Doesn't it have tube retainers? If not they could almost certainly be added and at the same time have the clips that hold the pins in the sockets tightened.

Mugre

9. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The reason I'm asking about the new heads is because I have a chance to get a year old WT550 at a VERY good price. BUT!
    I don't want to buy a piece of crap compared to the older ones. The WT400 I have had an issue so I had a major tech go through and fix anything he didn't like, so the WT400 is in really good shape. Hmmm... Maybe I should just be happy with the WT400.

10. PatO

PatO

May 21, 2006
    Colchester VT
    There are no retainers on the power tubes, just the preamp tubes. I've looked into putting clips in there to hold them in, but for the amount of effort and time it takes me to slide them back I haven't bothered.