1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newer Eden stuff as good as the older stuff?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ric426, Jan 11, 2013.

1. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I had one from the same year that I also bought NOS when they were blowing them out at MF. It was a great head.

Until it blew up!!!!!!!!!!! :D

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

That's MEAN ;)

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I gigged a WT550B for quite awhile, until I stupidly sold it to go the lightweight route. Tried a couple lightweight heads from another manufacturer, didn't work out, so now I am back to Eden.

I have a TON of gigs on my WT1205 ('08 model, bought NOS) and D610XST rig. It has given me exactly ZERO problems, and sounds great, every night.

I just about (stupidly, again:rollno:) sold it a couple months ago, when I picked up a Mesa Titan and Powerhouse 1200 cab, but after A/B'ing both in a live situation, the Eden blew the Mesa out of the water, for me.

I do honestly hope that the Eden name gets back up to where it used to be, years ago. I love Eden gear.

4. It's funny because I've gone back to gigging with my WT400 again. I own the following micro heads:

Markbass F500
    SWR Headlite
    Eden WTX500

and have owned, gigged, and sold the following:

Markbass LMII (really liked the sound even more than the F500)
    GK MB500
    Eden WTX260
    Genz Shuttle 6.0
    Genz Streamliner 900 (only borrowed this one)

My WT400 seems to have more power than all except the Streamliner but the sound which is what is really important, can't be beat IMO. Even when comparing to Edens own WTX500. I've been mostly using the WTX500 until recently when I took the WT400 out to a gig and noticed how much better it sounded and more powerful it felt. I'm having a hard time leaving the WT400 at home now. It's just worth the extra weight and moderate size to me.

5. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I have a pre-US Music Eden Metro and I had a pre-US Music Eden XLT-115. I sold the 115 and bought a XLT-410 about 2009. Wow! What a difference!

The 2009 cab sounds great, but the covering is loose by where the pieces come together. The casters need to be replaced on my 2009 cab (wheels and the housing both), but the 2003 cab's casters are still fine. One of the plastic corners of the 2009 cabinet has a crack in it. You guessed it, no problems with the 2003 Metro corners.

These are all pretty much cosmetic things, but it makes me wonder about what I don't see inside the cabinet.

6. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    I bought a WT550 in 2010, right at the lowest point of the US Music debacle. It blew up after two months, but Eden warranty service was terrific. The amp sounds great and I haven't had any more trouble with it.

7. J Dean

J Dean

Jan 7, 2012
    I just bought a WTX500 this week. I love this thing. I had been using a WTDI through various power amps. At my age, a 7lb amp sounds much nicer to my back than a 26lb WTB400. The controls are basically the same as the WTDI, so I know how to dial in a good tone right away. Nice features, great tone & plenty of head room. I have it paired with 2 home made single 10" cabs w/Peavey PRO drivers. I have a single 15" cab I just built but haven't got a driver for it yet.

8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Agreed. I have always loved the sound of Eden heads and cabs, but a few years ago I checked out 4 used Eden 410XLT cabs at 4 different retailers. Every one of them had at least one blown speaker. I also checked out 3 used WT800 heads at 3 different sellers. Each of them had problems and were being sent out for repairs. I decided to go back to Ampeg and have been very happy.

9. Yeah I've got a similar story. I've been looking at micros to downsize my WT550 (2007) but havent found anything that sounds nearly as good. I'm currently A/Bing it with a Markbass F1 but it just sounds cheap and nasty in comparison. The Eden just has a rich smoothness to it. Mucho booty.

Other contenders have been TC RH450 - didn't dig the EQ; Shuttle 6.0 - a bit "thin"; Aguilar 500SC - EQ a bit limiting. I'm still wanting to try a Puma & Shuttle 6.2/9.2

10. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland

You know......... I've had a shuttle 9.0, Carvin BX500 and I just keep coming back to my Eden heads. Sold my WT600 to get a micro and ended up with a WT500, I wish eden sold a true micro that had that sound like the World Tour series. Until then, I might be toting my old Eden around.

11. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    You could use a WTDI into something clean like a Genz Benz Shuttle.

12. The Shuttle Max 9.2 would be a great, lightweight replacement to the WT550. I personlaly greatly prefer the F1 (actually the F500, but that is now discontinued) to the WT550, but we all hear things differently.

Also, the Shuttle 6.2 is MUCH fatter sounding than the original 6, worth a try.

13. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    That was the 1205 not the 1250!
    David did some consulting work for Eden, but only for smaller combos.

14. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    The design is electrically ok, just the mounting should have been improved. On the other hand, if you play the amp, you never have a problem! Those resistors only create that heat when you don't play the amp for a long time.

15. bampilot06

bampilot06

Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Picked up a e series 15 combo a fee weeks ago but this thread is freaking me out.

16. I couldn't remember the exact name. It was awful.

17. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    Yeah, but only some off them.
    I got a proper one and it is a killer amp.
    But I wouldn't buy one of these without testing.
    Every other Eden I buy blind. I actually did without regret.

18. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Tried a few micros as well and I agree with Vin*Tone Eden has more heft and weight in the low end than any micro I've tried (TH 500 would be interesting to try).
    I also really like the 3 band parametric eq Eden uses. Used everything from the original WT-300, WT-400, WT-405 and the WT-550 never ever had a problem. I see a ton of light weight heads for sale in the classifieds on a daily basis. Does that say something?

19. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Means they are cheap to buy and trade like socks, for those that don't do the homework to find the sound they want. ;)

20. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yup. I've gone through a few mainly because they are cheap.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021