1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Newer Eden stuff as good as the older stuff?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ric426, Jan 11, 2013.

1. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South

Yeah, its amazing how the Nemesis line has been passed over. I was blown away by the tone the 1st time I plugged in to one at the local music store. I bought my RS-400 to drive my Hartke 410 Transporter cab and I have been playing it for 4 years trouble free. Its the only amp I ever had that my bandmates made a comment about the tone. With two Hartke 410 Transporters I have a budget big rig that will embarrass a lot of higher end (higher priced) rigs....

2. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    You trade socks with people?

3. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    There is still the E series which is the Nemesis line.
    They got some new combos, E series combos. David did some consulting work on those for Eden.

4. This is a repost of mine from a different thread but it fits in this thread as well:

I totally agree! I've had a very similar experience with my new to me used LMT 800. I just got off my first gig with it and my Berg AE410 tonight. I was really impressed!!

I'm an Eden WT400 user and I love the Eden tone. So far with my Fdeck HPF, I've been able to get a very similar tone out of this Little Mark Tube 800. Only in a micro package. I bring the bass up to 3 o clock and the mids set flat, the treble set to 1 - 2 o clock, and VLE and VPF at 9:00 ish. I too find the tube and SST blend knob to impart a variety of tones similar to what you find. I typically set it to 11:00 to maximize the SST's low end and still hear the sweet harmonic mids from the tube.

I have the F500, WTX500, and Headlite, and of all of them, the closest one to replace my trusty WT400 on gigs is the Markbass LMT 800. The WTX sounds great but simply doesn't have the same headroom as my old WT400. The LMT 800 doesn't seem to run out of gas before I start worrying about my AE410 compressing out and at that point, I'm too loud for just about any stage I play.

The Little Mark EQ system does leave a little to be desired in the ways of simplicity, especially when comparing to a Eden World Tour EQ. Once one becomes familiar with the LM series EQ, one can really cop a lot of different tones out of it. I was amazed to get a Eden(esk) tone and headroom in a smaller lighter package, and for that I'm really excited! I may be GAS Free for a while now...

I've never been a fan of the F500 as much as I wanted to like it. I love it's smaller form factor and semi-para mids. It's low end just isn't authorative enough for my tastes. It's a very articulate amp with sweet mids and plenty of real gigging volume. But for this Eden guy, the LMT 800 is a better match. It really sang with the AE410. When using it with my bottom rich Mesa Scout cabs, I found it to be a little sloppy. The FDeck HPF really helps get the Mark Bass LM heads into a similar low end of the Edens. I set the HPF frequency at about 2-3 o clock and place it in the effects loop.

*note - if using something like a compressor or HPF in the effects loop of a Markbass head you will want to do the internal conversion from parallel to series. Mark Bass ships them from the factory configured for parallel operation.

5. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Great info.
    What did the LMT 800 cost?
    I don't need 800 watts, I wonder if they make a 500 watt version?

6. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Sad but true - not necessarily the case however with pedals and certain cabinets. To sound off on Eden though, I was an exclusive user from 96-02 and can attest that yes the transition was painful and the line has been watered down significantly since, but the higher end today is good albeit not 'quite' as good at the originals. You should be fine.

7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Since David Nordschow sold Eden, they have become less Eden and more Fender bassman. Eden like SWR, used to be awsome.....used to be.

8. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    I have a WT-400 that I have had for a long time, it was one of the last ones made, identified by the presence of a Speakon connector. I have used it extensively for many years, and it has been trouble free the entire time. I have always been able to get a sound that I liked from it, and have paired it with a wide variety of cabs.

My other amps are Shuttle 9.0 and Streamliner 900 (for the power) and a bridged Crown XTI-2002 paired with a Demeter HPB-1 (for even more power). I occasionally use an Alembic or Yamaha Pre instead of the Demeter, but the HBP-1 is my current fave.
    I mention the other amps to show what I have frequent direct experience with and what I can get my desired tone from. With that in mind, I am still completely satisfied with the WT-400 and that is what is usually set up in my studio. It just fits like a comfortable shoe.
    I wouldn't hesitate recommend (vintage) Eden to someone else, but I have no direct experience with current production, and thus no valid opinion there.
    I am completely satisfied with my GB stuff as well, and would recommend it as well. However, don't let the collection of amps fool you, I like them all, and can make them all do what I want. I mostly have them for customers to use for demoing my cabinets.

9. Thats interesting to hear about the LM Tube. Most review I've read have said the tube doesn't seem to make much difference. I agree on the F1/F500. There's something missing - like it's a bit 2D.

A Puma 500 popped up locally for a bargain price so I've snagged it. Lets see if it lives up to the hype. Smaller and substantially lighter than the WT550 but the Eden has that killer EQ, headphones... and great tone. I'll be selling one & it will be hard to beat.

10. In what way? Their new products seem to be pretty stable - there don't seem to be many reported faults, and people like them.

I don't know about the CS. Have you had issues?

11. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I've not heard anything about Eden other than Marshall bought the company.
    Where is the WT series being made? China?

12. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    I'm glad to hear it. My WT1205 blew up a year and a half ago and has been in the shop ever since. US Music has finally given up and KDog is sending me a refurbished unit. I hope it works out because the original one didn't even make it through a whole gig. I'm assuming that refurbished is better than new. I'd love for this amp to work out!

13. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Feb 17, 2009
    Germany
    I hope so, the number of faulty units was a lot less after the production was moved to china.

14. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Any reason to be leery of buying a 2007 USA built WT-550B that appears to have been well taken care of?

Is this the infamous transition period? Is it smarter to hold out for an older US unit?

Anyone care to share their thoughts? Thanks!

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ah, but after Marshall bought Eden, they got smart and have hired David Nordschow on to help (re)design Eden products! :cool:

16. I'm a fan of the Eden B series. I have a 550, and I don't think I'll ever part with it. I also still use a pair of 210XST cabs. I've used many 800B's that were backline from rental companies. Great sound, plenty of oomph.

I owned two 800C's. One blew up... well, caught fire in the middle of a gig and blew one of my cabs. The second made crackling noises from day one, and eventually stopped working. I moved up to a 1205, and it made intermittent noises as well, so I got rid of it.

I haven't checked out any Eden gear in the past few years; I have more amps than I need right now.

17. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I used to have a gray Eden Nemesis 15" combo for about about 8 years that I bought in 1994. The combo was fairly light and had a great tone. Unfortunately at moderate volumes, it would sometimes overheat and shutdown to cool off. I think they added a fan to them to correct the problem in later models. I sold it to get an Eden Metro and it was a beast and a half to move.

I should've kept the Nemesis 15". That's one combo I miss dearly.

18. No that should be fine. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'transition period' but wasn't that when they moved prod to China?

The only real .... er .... design weakness in the Eden amps is the notched pots. The occasionally get dirty and a bit scratchy. But this can be easily "fixed" with deoxit. (it's not really a fix but will sort the problem out for a good while)

19. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I don't know anything about David Nordschow or his dealings with Marshall, but this seems like a huge conflict of interest. David Nordschow has come out with a new company, building his own building cabs, AND is consulting for a Marshall?

Can someone explain this?

20. Someone who seems 'in the know' recently posted that David is doing some consulting on the lower end combo part of the line. That is a category that, as far as I know, DNA does not compete in.

IF DNA is doing well, it seems Marshall has much more to gain than David. My guess is, DNA is not doing well at all (just a 'gut feel' there, given the negative intro of that company... he chose his employees VERY poorly at the start IMO.). So, maybe a 'plan B' for Mr. Nordschow.

Edit: I have ZERO inside information, FYI.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021