Newer Fender five string basses - E string sound issues?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Mar 22, 2018.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    In 20+ years of playing, have noticed that many basses from the Fender brand have issues with the E string. It can of course happen with other brands too, but I see a long line of basses with less sustain, dead spot character and less output at open E and the first two positions.
    I have noticed this in many 4 string MIA Jazzes (with or w/o Posiflex), as a consistent issue with Squier VM and CV, Gretsch hollowbodies, the pencil neck GeddyLee, older Five sting Jazzes etc.
    The list goes on and on, and is not caused by strings, rigs etc (Please, do not waste everyones time by posting counter"facts"; the phenomenon is real and frequent.) I have tried everything and anything, and these annoying mechanical characteristics shine through, just more or less.

So! My question is, have you noticed this kind of issues in the 2008 and newer five string Fender basses as well? Those are very rare to find in a MI shop in Sweden, so I've had virtually zero chans to check it myself. All input is welcome!

Edit: I am curious, as I might be trading my Jazz Bass Plus V (also suffering this issue) for a new(-ish) Fender Jazz V, but only if it does not suffer this problem!

2. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I've owned 3 5-string MIA Fender Pees and have not noticed those problems with the E string.

AlexanderB and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    In my experience, I have not witnessed any anomalies with the E string on any five-string Fender product. I own three of them, two both post-2008. One can debate ad infinitum as to whether or not a 34"-scale length is appropriate for these instruments, but personally, I have not encountered problematic circumstances. I can detail some issues I've had with the E string on certain 35" scale instruments, but because that's not what you've asked here, I'll refrain from further commentary.

4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    From Ed Frieland's review(s), it had an even and thick sound.

5. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    I Don’t think it’s a Fender thing, I played a Sire 5 string recently and the E string was basically dead from fret 1 to 5.
    Very quiet/ no sustain.

AlexanderB likes this.
  6. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Thanks! IME, short scale basses suffer less from the "missing fundamental" E string issue, so I do not see a 35" scale as a "go to" solution.

7. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Anyone else? MIM vs MIA? Squier 5 string experiences?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022