Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newer Luthier

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by AlmightyPancake, Dec 19, 2005.

1. This was also posted in the Bass Guitars forum, mods, please delete if this shouldn't be here. I'd just sort of like to spread attention about this artist. :bassist:

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this community, and I'd like to make my first real post one of information and interest.

For several months, I played a peavey grind NTB which I'd modded with a couple EMGs and a lovely EMG pramp for a nice hi-fi sound, but once my solo bass desire died a bit, I began doing more band work. I also started to utilize my music knowledge to do studio work for a few local artists at Virginia Beach's Daily Planet Studios, run by producer Mark Skipper (http://www.dailyplanetstudios.com). Mark has recorded artists for years, and has worked with Meg Ryan, KISS, and Poison.

Obviously, my newer ventures required a bass with a less soloist sound, but I've also never been one for traditional basses. I played a great many basses, and none had quite what I was looking for.

Then, I heard about a budding luthier in my area (Tidewater, VA), John P. Winters. I spoke with him for a while, then took a risk in acquiring from him a bass he'd already built for himself. I went over to his house, we spoke for a while, I tried it, and fell in love with it almost instantly. Its body shape was original, the custom built preamp was versatile, and the standard dimizario pickups were placed in such a way that they accentuate the various features of each individual sound. The bass itself is seen below:

[​IMG]

I used it regularly, until one day I managed to bugger up the preamp on my own. JP was on Navy Deployment at the time, so I was unable to have him fix it-- i simply wired it passive and bypassed the preamp altogether.

I then went to the studio and did some work for a local artist, Steve Coelho, who has since passed on. When I used my bass, Mark was astounded by the natural low-end and tone of the bass, particularly when either pickup was soloed in series (the parallel-series option was on my bass). We took several runs of multiple songs, and I received a great deal of compliments about both my bass and my playing. A soundclip of one product is below.

I then came to college-- The College of William and Mary-- and began doing basswork here. I joined a band (Ultraviolet Ballet-- http://www.purevolume.com/ultravioletballet) and started gigging regularly-- again, receiving compliments on the look of my bass from people in the audience and from other bassists, as well as sound compliments from the various sound techs at our shows. I was recruited by a few students in the composition class to bass for their pieces, and again received compliments on my bass' unique look and sound.

[​IMG]

When JP returned, I visited and in 3 hours, he'd patched up my damage to the preamp (which, admittedly, had consisted of me being a bit too careless at first and buggering up the wiring when replacing a battery), replaced the wiring with higher quality stuff, and replaced all my knobs, because I wanted a different look. This was all done entirely free of charge, as part of his warranty.

I highly reccomend anyone looking for a unique custom to look into Winter's Customs-- I plan to order my second as soon as my student budget allows it-- and I'd also be happy to let anyone in the area try it out if they're willing to meet me at a music store or something along those lines. I can also answer any questions anyone may have about the company or about my bass in general.

Some soundclips may be found on this page:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=206492

The song "Long Time no See" was done with four tracks of that bass (affectionately dubbed "The Scarab") and one of my peavey. Both basses were recorded through a BBE sonic Maximizer and Edirol UA-25 with no modifications except their own preamps and a slight bit of mixing (obviously) in Fruity Loops.

The song "Back to New York City" was done at Daily Planet studios through a passive Radial direct box and then straight to the board. That is the raw drum and bass version, no alterations save minor compression and mixing.

:bassist:

EDIT: Forgot the bloody link...http://members.tripod.com/winterscustom/