Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newer player in need of advice.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by konfusion17, Apr 26, 2004.

1. konfusion17

konfusion17

Apr 26, 2004
    Hello :D I'm new to these forums so just yell at me if my post sucks.

I am the singer in my band(We are a rock band with punk/emo influences)and recently our bassist decided to leave. So I decided I would pick up the bass(I've always wanted to), But the problem is I know little to nothing about the bass. So I would be taking lessons...but

I was wondering what would be a good bass to start with? I dont really want one that I would have to replace right away I'd like one I could actually play shows with. I'm looking to spend 500-700$ on the bass its self.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. :D
    (What kind of amp would be a good partner for it that I could also play shows with.)

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    SX basses seem to be considered the best "beginner" bass around. Can't remember the link online for the store.. Might want to try a search for "Essex" and "Brice"..

3. There are lots out there. But if you want new, FOR THE MONEY I don't think you can't beat a Yamaha RBX774 for $250 on clearance at MF, type 518195 into the search box and you'll find it. When i went beginner-bass shopping at GC there was nothing else even close. (It is *not* a $250 bass. It just sells for $250 until it's gone...)

If you really want to spend $500-700 (not exactly most 'beginner' basses) check the used for sale forums here. but you can get a good bass for much less that'll hold its value until you know what you really want from one. that's what i did.

4. Welcome son. Yeah for your $500-700 you could try out...

Fender Made In America (MIA) P-Bass.
    Fender MIA Jazz Bass.
    Used Musicman Stingray?
    Lakland, not sure what model.
    Yamaha, like any of the $500 range.

For punk/emo tho, I use my trusty Made In Japan (MIJ) P-Bass, run through a Trace Elliot amp. Sounds really good, I'd recommend it.