Newer Ric colors...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by merc50, May 29, 2005.

1. I used to have a Ric that I miss a bunch now that I am sorta getting back into playing.

In fact I got rid of everything like an idiot when I got out of college and only kept a 57 Fender P reissue that I tore apart close to seven or eight years ago to have painted and never got it painted.

I bought a Hot Rod Fender (the orange one) and really have gotten back into playing and I want a ric again, but I was shocked last year to see the limited colors and such.

BTW, I really like the Hot Rod and I am amazed at the negative responses on many sites towards those...

I had a red one with black hardware from the mid 80's and I saw they pretty much come in four flavors now...but then I noticed this year that they have a blue burst as a 05 color.

Has anyone seen a blue burst yet?

Do they do this limited color thing every year now...if so what was last years and so on?

I probably can't swing one this year...when do they announce new colors for the year?

Thanks for reading this dribble...
  2. First say i like Hot-rods. I too have a USA Hot-rod...and i think its a very under-appreciated bass.

Right now there are 5 Ric colours to choose from.
    Midnight Blue

Black hardware is discontinued on Rics. And last years(2004) colour of the year was Blue Boy (kinda baby blue) and Montezuma Brown (2003) was held over from the previous year due to popularity.

They release a new colour every year or 2 and usually announce it in January during winter NAMM.

There have only been a few Blueburst pics around..there is a crummy one on and there is this one in the NAMM thread
  3. When did they do that surf green-ish looking one on that web site?

I can't really tell from the pics how different the blue burst is from a midnight blue...any one care to comment?

Thanks for the reply btw...
  4. Sea-green was 2000 special colour.

There have been a few questions of the "burst" of this years colour...unfortunately all the pics that i have seen are pretty dark...hard to get an accurate pic of it.
    It will probally be a little while before the bluebursts start shipping (due to Rics long waiting list) and good pics come about.

I hope it would be a more pronounced im sure alot more people do as well. But regardless, i have been reading alot of people have already been placing their orders for will be a popular colour.
  5. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Montezuma Brown is my all time fave Ric color :hyper:
  6. I believe midnight blue is a solid color(opaque) and blueburst is a transparent color that the grain of the wood shows through,but I'm not 100% sure
  7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    From photos I've seen, Desert Gold & Burgundyglo both look quite elegant. Pity that Rickenbacker doesn't make their full pallete of past & present colors available all the time...

8. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    This is correct (midnight blue is the color of my own Rick.)

The blueburst 4003 I saw in those NAMM pics looks really sweet. I'd love to see one live and in the flesh.
  9. I'm not a big fan of blue,but the blueburst is nice..I really like the monte.brown,it looks a lot like my 82 walnut\autumglo 4001(there was a satin,non glossy version also). I love ric's I also have a jetglo '03' the past I had a jg4001fl and a walnut\autumglo 4008 that I really regret selling :meh: