Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newest Addition to the Family (pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Nov 15, 2002.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, got home from Fargo today and the guy in the brown truck had paid me a visit.

For those who didn't know, I bought a Millenium Plus J bass off of Ebay a couple weeks ago, and it came this afternoon.

I haven't had a chance to play it through my rig yet, so I have just played it through my Basic 50 combo amp in my apartment. My first impressions are really good, though. Even through the little amp, it has an extremely aggressive Jazz bass sound to it.

It is also in PERFECT condition. I got it from Rod Harder at Axe Music (TB's HarderMan, I believe). He said it might have a pick scratch or two in it, but I cannot find one imperfection on it. Brand new condition, with case, for $480 US shipped to my door. Not bad. Oh, and it is the Tiger Eye finish, which looks pretty good. The flame isn't as good as on my Modulus, but what do you expect?:D Fit and finish seems to be perfect on it, as I have come to expect from Peavey's higher end stuff (at least from my personal experience with em).

Does anyone know of a site where I can host photos?? I know I gotta post the obligitory pics, and I have my digital camera sitting right here, but I don't know where to host em at. Club photo won't let me do it for free anymore, so I guess I could just become a member there so I can do it. Or is there a better sight?

I will give a more thorough review of it later, when I have had more time with it.

2. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    imagestation.com is good

3. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Thanks, I will check it out.:)

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Most excellent dude! Cool. Neat. I still have my eye on a green Millenium at Sam Ash, providing they keep knocking the price down on it.

5. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    [​IMG]

Here is a quick pic of it, I will upload better ones when I have more time (56k:( )

6. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I don't know why, but the Millenium/Millenium Plus basses really seem to get overlooked a lot. Kind of funny, considering how popular the Cirrus has become.

7. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    [​IMG]

Here is a closer one of my Q5's body.

8. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    [​IMG]

And the Cirrus 5.

9. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    [​IMG]

And a closer one of the Millenium Plus.

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Now, how would you compare the tone to the two Grinds that you've played Ryan? Also is the pickup spacing on the Millennium an issue for you at all?

11. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    As to the Grinds, if I was going to buy one, I might have to spend the extra money and go with the US model. The BXP model was very nice, especially for the price (they were selling it for under $500), but it just seemed to be missing something that the US model had. Both had the typical fast Peavey neck, balanced well sitting down, and seemed to have great fit and finish. The US model just felt better to me. Quite a bit, actually. I didn't spend a whole lot of time with either model, as time was limited the day when I got to try them both out. I will be going back there probably next week during the week when the store isn't so busy and will take them both into a seperate room they have there and spend some more time with em (nice being a "preferred" customer).

The pickup spacing on the Millenium is a bit different. Not the usual places for my thumb to rest on the pups like on my basses with soapbars. I am not used to the narrow little J pups anyway, but I have found that resting my thumb on the neck pup is very comfortable, so it shouldn't be an issue. It just has such a different sound than my other basses, and I think it is really going to cut through unbelievably in a band setting. I will be trying it out through my main rig at our reheasal place probably tonight, so I will be able to tell more about how it sounds then.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for the update Ryan. I've been waiting to hear something about those Grinds. Who knows when I'll get a chance to try one with these dealers locally. I'll also have to keep my eyes open for a good deal on a J/J Millennium.

The comment that you made earlier about the Millennium not catching on is so true! I know guys that rave about the Cirrus who won't give the Millennium any consideration. Too bad for them because I don't think they know what they're missing when the prices that they are available at now is taken into consideration.

13. congrats on the Milennium... I played one of them at one of the local stores a few weeks back and its definitely on the top of my GAS list right now. Beautiful bass.

14. Cool!

How do you like that stand? I've been thinking about getting one of those. Is it pretty stable? How many instruments does it hold? It looks like just 3.

- Dave

15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Dave-

I love the stand. Very stable. The only thing you have to be a tiny bit careful about is when putting the basses on it so that you don't bang them into the one next to it. Very minor thing, though. Seems to be very well built and well padded where the bass makes contact with it. Folds up flat so it is very easy to take along. Sure beats having to keep track of multiple single guitar stands.

I have the 3 guitar model. They make a 5 guitar and a 7 guitar model, though.

16. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I'll shoot you a PM when I have gotten a chance to play em more.

Oh, and check ebay. There is a J/J on there right now, I believe.;)

17. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I love the top on that Millenium! My next bass, hopefully, will be a Cirrus 5 with that top.

18. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    It looks pretty sweet in person.

The Cirrus basses with the Tiger Eye finish look very nice, as they also have the matching headstock. I wish they would have been available when I bought my Cirrus.

19. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    those are all sweet basses, Ryan.... I have always loved playing around with the cirrus basses, I just never found one for a deal that I would pay for... maybe that's because I am a cheap bastard, yeah, I think that has a lot to do with it!

P@

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Cool! I'd love to know what your opinion of them is. I saw that Millennium Plus J on eBay. The last time I checked oneof our TB brothers was in the hunt for that bass. :D There's also a Plus 5 on there and I would prefer a 5 if I can get one since I have a Plus 4 with the J/MM config. Although, that American Grind is very intriguing to me.