Newest Epifani fan (sorry, long post)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funky Doctor, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Do you beleive that love is blind? What is blind love? Surely there are many people who could give their own account of this, but none can match this one. Once upon a time (5 days ago) I FINALLY bit the bullet and ordered an Epifani ultralight 410 from The Bassplayer in Annandale, Sydney, which is about 2 hours from where I live. I called, I aked, I got a kickass deal. One thing though... I had never tried out this cabinet, meaning, I was buying blindly. I had fiddled with an Epifani 310 at my teachers house for a bit, and yeah, it sounded amazing, but nothing could prepare me for what was in store for me here. So I got home, after having done an all nighter at uni, and the whole day after that, noticed that the delivery man had graced my home with his presence for about 5 minutes, leaving behind a big cardbboard box, unpacked it, plugged it in, and HOLY CRAPPAMOLY!!!!! I was blown away with the sweet sounds of MY BASS!!! I could here everything that was supposed to be there. So sweet was the sound. Punchy, yet smooth, the tweeter is bloody amazing, I can't stress that enough, and man does it look good. 20 minutes later I was in love, and me and my new sweetheart were on our way to Luna Park to play for 500 people. Plugged it in once again, turned up, and the sweet sounds of my bass penetrated every little nook and cranny of this rather large room. One of the sound guys told me how my sound coming out of my cabinet was still punchy upstairs on a different level!!! Man does this thing crank out the volume. The big crunch time came when I plugged my 6 strinng in. I was so nervous. I had played and fiddeled around for a bit before the gig, but nothing could prepare me. The first song we played in that set started with a low C. OH, MY, GOD!!! Ok, the lowest notes of the B string might not be as powerful as some a little higer, but jeez, they are there in full force. And the punch, oh the punch. So punchy. Punch punch punch punch punch. Punch. My previous cabinet would fart like Dad at any mention of my 6 string bass (such a huge sound no matter where I play on the neck) and as a result it eventually ripped the speaker cone right out of the basket. This is the reason I got the Epifani. I figured, well, I need a new cab right this very instant, why not go all out? Well, now that all (not quite all, but the major ones) my gear issued are sorted, I have no idea what I am going to do with myself. Or my money for that matter. I guess I'll just have to concentrate on getting better :D . I can honestly say I never been happier with my gear (except my basses) and that I'll bee using this one for a long time yet. Oh, and did I mnetion this thing is damn light? No more back pain at gigs!!!!!! So yeah, go check out Epifani if you haven't already.
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Welcome to the family! Congrats on the new cab. I don't think I will ever be separated from my 112.
  3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Nice review. It's awesome that you've found your sound! I'm playing Bergantino but I have the utmost respect for Epifani. The UL's are way cool; a fine design. Rock on! :hyper:
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have that same exact cab. It's a truly wonderful thing!:D

Congrats on your acquisition. :D
  5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Eyyyyyyy. No one ever replies to my threads. Well, almost. But yeah, thanks. I would seriously like to try a 2x12 (I was considering one of these) or the 2 1x12 setup. Light weight is so cool!!! YAY!
  6. FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Well, that was what I thought playing through the Epi 4x10. ;)

But it was the NYC version and my back was protesting. With some hesitation I switched to 210UL + 112UL, would I have to take a step back soundwise? NOPE! I actually like the combination of the 10's and the 12 better!

I would be interested to know what you are using for amplification. If your money is getting heavy in your pocket you could order a Glockenklang in Germany, that will go a long way to solving that problem. :)

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Funny you should mention that. I am using a mackie 800 watt power amp, and even though I know it is sin to use a smaller power (well I think so, I think that headroom is a very important thing to have with high pwer bass applications) I hardly have to puck the amp. Seriously, it was so loud, and the metering LED's were not even flashing!!! I am also using an ampeg svp-pro preamp, which, while I absolutely love the flexibility is has, I want somtehing a little different. I really want to check out fender's new preamp (I know, fender. Don't hate me for it, but it sounds like it has been really well designed by NON-fender people) or going with something solid state. Something with a fast step response that can give me loads of attack. After just saying that, I am also curious about walter woods (damn expensive), ampeg svt4-pro (nicely self contained, high powered, and one unt which I can bung into a 3 space rack) or screw it all and go with a QSC PLX 3402 and maybe a BBE Bmax, the solid state version.

Well, it seems that my GAS and gear issues AREN'T in fact sorted... Oh well.
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Congrats! It can certainly be an inspiration to discover a new piece of gear that lets you hear yourself in a whole new light.

9. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Great cab!!! Congrats..
  10. joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    Excuse my laziness, but how much does it weigh?
  11. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    the 4-10ul weighs in at 59 lbs
  12. Congratulations on the nice score. I own a 4x10UL and run an EBS HD350 through it - great tones at manageable weight. I love Epifani gear.
  13. hey mate.. thought id reply to ur thread :)
    even though uve already told me how good it is before u wrote the cool review lol.
    i think the epi may now be officially my next cab.
    probably this time next year, after ive got a higher powered head unit to push it!!
    they'l have to send it all the way down here to tassie, but oh well :smug:
    ahh dear, another thing to add to the list :rolleyes:

p.s - wish i could hear it... maybe if u just turn the mackie up a bit, so the lights come on, i might be able ot hear it way down here :p :ninja:
  14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You goose. I'm talking to you right now on msn, but I'm still replying to your post... go figure. But yes, as I'll tell you time and time again in the ensuing months untill you get one, get one!!!
  15. AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    I also have a 410UL. I use it with an Edan WT and my Wal basses. The combination is fantastic. I will probably never need another cabinet in my lifetime!