1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newest studio recording from one of my bands...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Popsicle Pete, May 3, 2010.

1. There's a live version of this in the Youtube video thread but obviously the sound quality is lacking. Anyways, here's the studio version.

2. yehongxiang

yehongxiang

Dec 15, 2009
    Singapore
    I honestly didn't expect that from a guy named 'Popsicle Pete'. :p

3. Danhole

Danhole

May 1, 2010
    Oh I'm turning the volume up on this one.

I like the bass tone. Round with no clack. Not many metal bands play with that tone.

4. Especially not in extreme metal, double especially not in black metal-ish metal. The usual bass formula for black metal bass playing is pick + distortion + just follow the root notes + bury it in the mix anyways = YAY!

The engineer/producer was Alex Knappenberger. He's fairly new on the scene here but he's showing a lot of talent and promise, actually giving us a better sound than we got with a seasoned producer with a lot more experience under his belt during our previous studio session. He definitely helped me get one of the best bass tones I've ever had.

Also, he's started his own custom speaker cabinet company and he's making some damn nice cabs. I expect to see bigger and better things from him in the future.

Here are his links.

http://www.myspace.com/knappenbergercabs

http://www.myspace.com/recordingcompound

5. Danhole

Danhole

May 1, 2010
    I had a similar idea when I went to record these demos for an upcoming album. www.myspace.com/metalthea

The singer and sound engineer were the only other ones in the room when i showed up to put the bass lines down and both of them looked fairly unsure when I said up the tone but after they saw how it meshes with the guitar tones they were fairly happy.

6. That's pretty good, actually. A little more hi-fi than i like my black metal... sounds REALLY Sweedish influenced, vocals especially have 'that Gothemburg sound'. It's played really well though.

As for you, even with my crappy work-speakers, i can hear the bass! I play in a black metal band as well, and i also favor the high-mids to be heard!

Nicely done! REALLY like the vox.

Holler if you ever tour, i'd totally book yall in MD.

7. bass-boy-roy

bass-boy-roy

Apr 29, 2010
    Awesome work. :)

How did you get that tone? Absolutely amazing

8. Thanks for the feedback, gents! :D

Yes, we are VERY much influenced by the Swedish sound but that kind of goes with the territory haha. And yes, our recordings do lack that raw quality that you find in most black metal but that's intentional. Raw is by no means bad (when done right) but we wanted to break away from that mold.

Bass-boy-roy, I used my NJ Neck-Thru Mockingbird my SVT-4. I've further modified my sound since this recording but this is more or less the EQ settings I used...

Amp.

9. Also, during the riffs starting at 1:44 and 4:52, I'm slapping with my thumb.

10. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I think the drummer set the double bass machine on overdrive and went for a sandwich. He sure likes to roll around the kit.

Not my thing but it sounds pretty damn together. I can hear all the instruments which is awesome. Great job on the bass. Very clean playing. Nice little Harris style part during the breakdown.

11. Hahahaha! Yeah, he's a very "high energy" drummer. He's pretty hyperactive even when he's not behind the kit. It can be pretty funny actually, he's originally from Estonia and while he fares far better with English than any of us do in Estonian, when he gets excited his mouth pretty much takes over and you can't understand a word he says.

Thanks man, much appreciated! :)