Newly acquired fretless through impulse buying!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cambass, Oct 21, 2004.

1. heh, went into a music store in town today to have a look at some basses when I spotted a fretless on the wall. Only problem it was a righty. I asked one of the guys if they come in lefty (as that is how I play) and he said he'd check. No luck, it was a discontinued line. He suggested I could still play it restrung upside down. So I had a go and it sounded pretty good even though it's a cheap-arse instrument (a 'Legend'). So, I thought, why not, it's only a couple hundred dollars, hence I bought it with some flatwounds.

I've just finished restringing it, sounds great, the only problem is the balance, now upside down, wants to make the neck fall to the floor if I don't hold it, being a light bass it's not too bad (anyone have any suggestions?).

Other than that, I love fretless! :hyper:
  2. Fun, ainnit? But just wait until you have to play it in tune...that's where the paid starts.
    For balance (thinking lefty here) if you can't get used to supporting the diving neck with your right hand, crank up the strap until the top edge of the body meets your left forearm and you can apply enough downward pressure to keep the neck up. Works with my Alembic, which balances like a drunken flagpole in quicksand.
  3. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Yup, someone I know has a Legend and it neck dives like mad. The body is hilariously light though, which is probably the problem.
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    So do I.

Suggestion: put a strp knob in the center of gravity, and sling the strap over your...let's see, you're a lefty...left shoulder and attach both ends to the one knob.
    It works.
  5. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Oh I see, you have it upside down. Well they don't balance very well even right side up :p. Is it the P-Bass copy one or a different model?
  6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I had similar neck dive issues with my old Austin- first bass I ever had. The neck dived like an overweight pigeon. When I look at teh actual wood from inside teh control cavity, it was made of plywood. :p Stupid cheap plywood basses...
  7. hehe, yeah, I think this one must be plywood aswell, it's so light (it's the p-bass copy btw).