newly arrived Jazz Bass Special is doa

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by papaya9, May 20, 2003.

1. papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    I just received my '85 Fender JBS tonight. I unwrapped it, pulled it out and fell in love. Just several belt-buckle impressions (No scratches), everything else is virtually mint. I go to plug her in and start playing and major static and drops in sound when moving the bass around. The plug socket moves slightly and produces crackling and drops sound when moved. It even makes the same noises when using the pickup selector. The bass socket doesn't even firmly grasp the cord plug(Can that happen during shipping?)
    I am totally bummed out, and perplexed--especially after the fact that I asked the seller 1001 questions concerning the integrity of the bass and she assured me several times that it was in excellent playing and cosmetic condition. The outlet even looks like it has been in its current state for a while. I feel totally used. It was shipped by Fedex and the packaging was in perfect condition--without scrapes, gouges, or any compression marks. Can anyone suggest what I should try to do? I emailed the owner and told her exactly as the above. I expect that she'll deny responsibility. Any suggestion is appreciated!

2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Sorry to hear that man- that has to stink! Plug jacks do not get damaged in shipping- tehre is no way she can deny this. The best quick fix solution aside from send teh bass back would be to open up teh cavity, check the wiring to the plug jack and pots, and resolder (ir have someone else resolder) any contacts that are loose at all. Also, make sure that the nut on the jack is tightened firmly, and to keep the plug from being loose, bend the contact tab in a little bit (from inside the control cavity). Hope this helps.:)
  3. papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    Thank you 5-string. You make it sound easy! I'll give it a shot--I've never opened up a guitar before though! Do you think it could be something very bad, also? Would be expensive to have a guitar store fix it if it just needs solder? Thansk again:)
  4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Do you have any local luthiers or guys that do electronics work around your area? You could take the bass to them and have them fix it. Its simple enough.

I recently bought a Schecter Elite-4 (which is an AWESOME bass) But, the two volume pots were complete s*** so I had to have them replaced. That sucks for a new bass..but, it was no big deal. The only downside is that what I thought was going to be just having him replace the volume pots turned into: New Bartolini's with coil splitter and blend pot, passive electronics, and schaller roller bridge :) Not that the things I replaced were bad, I just figured..what the heck, as long as I'm here.. :)

May 7, 2003
    i bought a fender p-bass from e-bay and when i opened it up and plugged it in the tone pot did;nt work,i decided to investigate and while checking the box i found some black chips in the bottom of it,after futher inspection i noticed some paint missing from the bottom corner of the bass,what had happened was the bass was dropped so hard that the paint poped off and a solder weld broke,i did'nt think such a thing could happen BUT I GUESS ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE
    GOOD LUCK W/ YOUR should'nt be a major prob;)
  6. papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    Thanks Tobias and Bonzobass!

I received an email from the seller telling me:
    "There was no problem with the bass when I shipped it. I played it with no
    problems last Friday. Please ship it back for full refund."

I want to keep it since its a beauty. If the shop thinks its worse then perhaps I'll send it back.

Thanks again for the good words, Kurt
  7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Papaya9, you said that you have never opened up a bass before. I suggest that you take this as a sign from above that it is time to delve into the mysteries that lie within.

The problems you described are fairly easy to fix, and if you do a little research on how to solder, you could replace the jack and the pots, if needed. You would then have a skill that would come in handy for the rest of your playing career.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Just for reference, I've had my output jack replaced on a bass while it was being setup, and the total for both was around $50, so it shouldn't cost you much.
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    That should be very simple to do, and it may be all you need to do.
  10. papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    Monkey- Very funny stuff. I think the "bass" logic here would be to open it up!

Bryan- Thank you. If I can't manage myself I'll take her in:)

Turock-Will try this prior to doing anything. Thanks much:)

11. You too, Tobias4? Two years ago I bought a Yamaha 5 string new, for $400. Loved the feel and the sound. It did need the frets filed though, so I brought it to a top-dollar place, and what should have been a $65 tune up turned into a $291.00 overhaul, but, I don't regret it. I also had the pots replaced, which were absolute garbage; even the tech was shocked at how cheap they were. So my $400 bass became a $700 bass. I don't regret it, but, from this experience, I think I'll go with the buy-a-more-expensive-bass right off the bat option from now on.

Anyway, Papaya9, if you're not experienced with wiring and taking stuff apart already, I'd suggest you don't start now, but, this is completely up to you. I would highly recommend having a qualified tech fix your electric problem AND have the bass set up to your specs. It may be a little more expensive, but, there is nothing like a bass that's been set-up by a professional. I'm handy with tools, but, I couldn't hold a candle to a pro.

Good luck whatever you decide.

12. papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    Mike- Very good point. Perhaps I'll have it set up too. Thanks! Kurt
  13. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Weren't some of the Jazz Bass specials active? If it is mabye you should try checking/replacing the battery. Can you post some pics of the bass? Front and back?
  14. papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    Hi GS. It doesn't have that huge cover on the back that the active ones have, which I think they do. The seller definitely said that pickups were non-active. Thanks for the thought though!