Newly discovered TOOL song!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rumzini, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Last night I was listening and jamming to Sirius Satelite radio at home...when I flipped it over to the power rock station there was this above listed TOOL song called "No Quarter". I've never heard it sounded pre Lateralus...pre Aenima even. Anyone have a clue what album this is on? I went to the TOOL site and couldn't find it on Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, or Lateralus. Maybe a bonus track somewhere? Import?
  2. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    It's a cover of the Led Zep song, and it appears on the 'Salival' DVD/CD box set.
  3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

yep, and it appears to have been recorded for aenima but wasn't used.
  4. and its probably the best cover song ever done.

5. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Ah...thanks you very much ya'll. Is this Salival hard to find? Mind you I havn't looked myself yet.
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Not really-- I got it off of Torrentspy. It's also available on Amazon. It's pretty amazing. It's got a live version of "Third Eye," "Part of Me," a new version of "Pu****," "Message to Harry Manback II," "You Lied" (Peach cover,) "Merkaba" (weird drum jam thing,) "No Quarter" and some effed up think called "L.A.M.C." I suggest it.
  7. greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Tool kicks ass. What's kind of funny is that they are a great source of information about Rennes Le Chataeu.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    What I had heard was that it was recorded for a Led Zepplin tribute album, but Tool didn't want to cut down on its time, so it wasn't used.

Don't know if that's true or not- it's just what I heard.
  9. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

oh, i was just guessing, based on chronology. not sure what the real history of it is. :meh:

salival is one of my favorite tool cd's (granted, they only have so many! :D )

there aren't a whole lot of songs, but there's definitely a whole lot of music on there.

the live version of "push-it" is essential. also, the live version of "part of me" is better than the version on opiate.

it wasn't hard to find when i got it... two and a half years ago? :p
  10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    this isnt a tool song, its a tool cover. its a zep song. thats almost like saying master of puppets/bassically/have a cigar is a primus song
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Errrrr gawd. I listened to the Tool version of No Quarter and was let down sorely. I thought "this is the perfect song for Tool to cover, I think they could do a decent job." Jeez, it was a let down. Best Zeppelin song ever... IMO. JPJ's organ makes the song, and they don't have that. And Maynard's whining gets on my nerves.
  12. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Pffft, 70 bucks for only 8 live songs? As if.
  13. Thankyou for informing us of this GROUNDBREAKING information :eyebrow:
  14. Theyre quite long songs, and theres also a dvd with their film clips on it.

Chips :bassist:
  15. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

$70 bills...forget it....
  16. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think I paid like $25 for my VHS version of the box. I was under the impression that Salival was a limited edition run. Maybe that's why it's so expensive right now.
  17. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    coulda sworn it was less than that when i got it.

yeah, maybe the supply is low. :meh:
  18. alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    i'm pretty sure i paid about $25 when it was released too. looks like you waited about 5 years too long to make the purchase. :(
  19. Salival was indeed limited run. Theres always a lot on ebay though. All for around $60-80 bucks. If I had the extra cash I'd get it, but it is bit much.

Tool is coming out (or thought to be very soon, as word of on Toolband) with a DVD that will have the Schism and Parabol/Parabola videos as well as I think interviews from the band.
  20. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    if you didnt know any of this, then clearly youve been living on mars, in a cave, with your eyes shut and your finger in your ears.

If you did and were being sarcastic, then you missed my point. I was just trying to say that calling this a tool song is an insult to the zep. those other songs are similar. I know the OP didnt realize this, but still...