Newmade Fenders, better or worse?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sunk, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Sunk

Feb 19, 2005
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hello everyone!

Another newbie joined up and have looked around alot in search for some questions. Got answers on everything after some heavy searching :cool:

So I was wondering bout fender basses, from what Ive read its hard to find anything bad about fenders. Most are giving the advice to get a used one instead of the new ones. Now that does ring a bell. Are the newmade Fender Basses better or worse than the older ones? Or maybe its pretty much the same just the price tag thats bigger on the new ones?

Im kinda in to the p basses if there is a difference between modells. If you need some price to compare, lets say from bout 600-1 000$ price. Say bout 800$ if we need to close down the price field.

Ps. Sry for the bad grammar / spelling probs. Im swedish, forgive me :bassist: .Ds
  2. I happen to find the newer American Fender's (circa this year) of greater quality in comparison to those of a little under four years ago. They seemed to have gotten better at their QC, though there are exceptions.

I happen to be one of those people that DOES NOT like the new S-1 series/par. switch. I find it... how shall I say... useless? I tend to prefer the more traditional, utilitarian Fender tone and would rather have a straight-up, no b.s. Jazz, or Precision.

In terms of the $800.00 range... they're starting to sell Mexican Fender's at that price. That's nuts in my opinion. Then again, Korean instruments are selling for around a grand now, so who knows these days.
  3. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Fender's dark years were from about '75 through '87, but I say that not because they didn't make good instruments but because they made some pretty poor ones. A lot of good ones came out of Japan. The Fenders they're making nowadays are probably as good or better than what they've made for a long long time.

In your price range you should be able to find a really nice MIA that's a few years old. Shop around.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I find I like older Fenders better than newer ones...not due to a problem in build quality, but rather in their character. The newer stuff seems to to me, to be 'watered down'. The feel, sound and look has been 'main-streamed' over the years...sorta like the difference between a vintage corvette with all the mean curves and one of the modern ones where all the little quirky bits have been smoothed out. The original Fender bass was developed and designed by just a few guys, and it shows...while the modern stuff seems like its been designed by committee.

They have been built in such quantity for so many years, that you'll find that there's plenty of great and awful ones out there. I think the overall quality of the build has increased in the past several decades.
  5. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I tried a new P-bass recently, it was the runner up to the sterling i bought.
    I couldn't figure out the point of the S-1 switch. Its a switch that makes the bass go from sounding really good, to really crappy? who wants that?
    The deluxe jazz basses are really nice as well, I tried one of those, but for being the same price as a musicman bass up here... eeeeeh, i dunno.