1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

News Flash. GM to make all its Cars, SUV's and Trucks electric in just 14 years. (2035)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stewie26, Apr 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am surprised by this. I am thinking since we are no longer building electric power plants, I hope we are not headed for trouble. Here in California, we have been experiencing rolling blackouts during the summer because of the demand on the power grid when so many AC units are on. Not sure where the power is going to come from to charge all these vehicles. Note: Please keep this as a technical discussion and no politics.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/01/28/general-motors-electric/

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I suspect there will be a big surge in wind and solar usage to cover, and eventually there will be a resurgence of nuclear power too. I think this makes sense because there will be tens of thousands of jobs in this. The down side is that there is no free lunch. Even “clean power” like solar and wind, will have a big environmental impact.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  3. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Today I got delivery of the 5th Cherokee XJ I've owned... a '99 2.5TD which is a bit modern for me as I like the old interior and a straight-6 4.0. English but obsessed by an out-of-production American SUV :)

The problem with electric vehicles is that they are only as clean and green as the power station that generates the electrickery they run on. And many of these power stations are as environmentally unfriendly as a 50s Hemi. In England we are building new power stations to run on woodchip from the Amazon.

To replace gas/petrol with electricity the industries currently refining fossil fuels need to stop doing that and get way more efficient with how electricity is produced. We have a huge totally safe nuclear power source (the sun) that is barely being used, and we have air source heat pump technology that could suck all the unwanted heat out of the atmosphere and convert it into electricity but no-one is even touching that idea yet even though the technology is decades old.

The more humanity relies just on electricity without getting smarter about how it's made, the more there will be blackouts.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

@Stewie26 has it summed up well. the primary sources of electricity are coal, gas or nuclear, with hydroelectric in the Pacific NW but some of those dams are in danger of coming out to restore the fish runs they have destroyed.

It's pretty simple - more nuclear power. There are small format nuclear generation designs which are much safer and generate less waste than the very old generation sites we have now.

Renewables are necessary and wonderful, but there is a need for 24x7 power, and storage for wind and solar isn't mature yet. The country is going to have to accept more local nuclear generation.

gln1955, MynameisMe, hbarcat and 5 others like this.
  5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Put your money on nuclear for the win. It will happen.

gln1955, MynameisMe, hbarcat and 3 others like this.
  6. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    From the sun - our free friendly safe neighbourhood nuclear reactor :)

7. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    If they can solve the "at night" issue, which is when most EVs will be recharging, and the massive amount of real estate needed, I'm all for solar. Tesla has their Power Wall and solar panel solution, but it's very expensive. Relatively few people will be able to use it

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Good on them, but too late. As for the electric power plants, solar is growing so fast it should easily make up the difference.

9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Prices are coming down very fast on both solar itself and battery storage.

equill, GregC, J_Bass and 1 other person like this.
  10. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Talking of electric cars there is a company in Wales that converts older vehicles from internal combustion to electric using old Tesla parts and keeps the transmission... apparently they converted a Porsche 911 and had to limit the power as it was too much for the drive train otherwise. That conversion of existing vehicles is way more environmentally friendly than building millions of new ones.

ctmullins, TheAnalogKid and Tosh like this.
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    A lot can happen in 14 years. I wouldn't count my chickens just yet.

ajkula66, Lesfunk and DaveDeVille like this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Solar panels are most effective in areas with least cloud cover. This will impact the environment of desert areas in the American SW and places like the Sahara. Nothing gives us power with an environmental impact.

PWRL and Stewie26 like this.
  13. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Very true. But we have solar farms even here in England where we don't have anything like a desert... the technology isn't efficient now but it will get better. Maybe someone like Elon Musk needs to create huge orbiting batteries that can accumulate solar power all the time and beam it down to microwave receptors on surface power stations on demand (remember you heard it here first).

OldDog52 likes this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Just remember, there is no free lunch. That sort of new technology will have impacts that we have not imagined. That is why I do not fear nuclear power because already know what it can do.

gln1955, PWRL and OldDog52 like this.
  15. Yep and the majority of charging for cars are done at night while you are sleeping. So we will need batteries to charge more batteries.

Pilgrim, DaveDeVille and DrMole like this.
  16. Bholder, From previous discussions we had I think you know that in addition some ICE cars, my wife and I have two all electric cars so I am not against them. My concern is that realistically, it will take a lot more time than currently allotted to build a new electric grid infrastructure to power up this many electric cars. If not done correctly, the transition from ICE to Electric could have heavy daily consequences for us all.

ajkula66, Jeff Scott and bholder like this.
  17. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    I'm a bit skeptical of this, but I guess we'll see.

Dominic DeCosa likes this.
  18. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    True enough. But not converting carries even heavier daily consequences. Like extinction. Really sucks.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  19. CqtaCEZVUAE0Wxs.jpg

20. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Yes but the insects or lizards that evolve to be the next dominant intelligent lifeforms can learn from the apes' mistakes. Insects, lizards, or maybe it will be intelligent mushrooms.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.