News Flash. GM to make all its Cars, SUV's and Trucks electric in just 14 years. (2035)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stewie26, Apr 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Stuff to ponder

I still think they need to put more effort into hydrogen fuel, whose only bi product is H2O

there is some research into solid state batteries that looks promising (non lithium type)

Will GM also contribute to the infrastucture to power all of there "all electric vehicles" ? stay tuned

ajkula66 likes this.
  2. I think that's supposed to be Tesla's doing, developing the infrastructure.

3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    So GM just sandbags till Tesla has it all in place ? then waltzes in with there all electric line up.....typical

TheAnalogKid, ficelles and Jeff Scott like this.
  4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Considering that Tesla uses a proprietary charging system, I’m not sure how that would work. Tesla has not indicated in any way that they will ever open their charging network to other car brands.

Of course a deal could be made with Tesla to do that but right now it seems really unlikely.

5. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Tesla will lease the batteries to GM who will sub-lease them to the car buyers, I guess. Electric cars keep everyone on the leasing hook.

6. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    GregC likes this.
  7. Corigan

Corigan Addicted to Shaking Walls Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2021
    Outside of Atlanta, GA
    Down here in the sunny south, I plan on getting as much energy off the sun as I can.

I plan on having panels and a tesla powerwall installed in the next 2 years. my house gets sun pretty much all day.

OldDog52 likes this.
  8. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I have no idea what you’re talking about.

9. Somebody's gotta set the standards. I honestly haven't done any research on it but to my understanding Tesla was always supposed to be more about establishing or developing the infrastructure or the tech thereof.

10. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    A lot of electric car owners lease rather than buy the batteries, as the batteries deteriorate and need replacing.

11. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    The car industry basically said something like we need a decade to figure this out.

Elon Musk said screw that, we’re doing a real system now. The rest of you can pleasure yourselves figuring out how to do this indefinitely. We’re not waiting. It’s the same as how Space-X operates.

gln1955, Stewie26 and pie_man_25 like this.
  12. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Batteries are warranted by law for 8 years. Lease or buy, the risk is no higher than buying an ICE vehicle.

A LOT of ICE buyers lease. And?

13. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    So If Tesla is going to keep there stuff proprietary, that means that every manufacturer will need there own charging system ? that seems kind of dumb and not helping the cause away from ICE if that is the end game.

Personally I dont see the ICE going away anytime soon, I'd give it at another 30 or 40 years before the change is complete.

ajkula66 likes this.
  14. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Yes but they lease the whole ICE vehicle, not just a section of it. Batteries are not owner-maintainable. I can't imagine there will be a vintage electric car subculture in decades to come with enthusiasts rebuilding their batteries :)

15. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Apart from Tesla, there are established standards adopted by most manufacturers, except Nissan who wanted to use their CHAdeMO system. Even Nissan has admitted that’s not gonna fly long term.

SAE J1772 - Wikipedia

CHAdeMO - Wikipedia

16. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Just as internal combustion engines are so complex now that owners can’t do much beyond changing the oil and even that isn’t always easy.

BTW EVs don’t need oil changes or other conventional routine maintenance.

17. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Actually that's not totally the case, obviously no oil changes needed but EVs still have brakes, wheels, steering systems and a whole host of other mechanical parts that need lubrication and maintenance. Tesla service schedule is annual.

Ps I'm not actually against EVs, but they aren't the environmental cure-all that they are hyped to be. More important is removing the need for everyone to be driving around all the time. Gandhi had the right idea.

20GLJazz, ajkula66 and izzysane like this.
  18. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Maybe where you live. That's not common here unless you lease the car.

19. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I'm not totally convinced the EV has long term staying power, people once thought steam powered cars were gonna be the thing as boats and locomotives used it successfully. Still waiting for my Jetson's flying car to become a reality

ajkula66 likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.