News of the Weird: Part 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Boplicity, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This was on TV yesterday on WPEC-TV, Channel 12, West Palm Beach and covered in greater detail in today's Palm Beach Post.

In Stuart, FL, a 450-pound (or 600 pound depending on who's telling the story) woman dies after being taken from her home, still "glued" to the sofa she had refused to leave for six years.

It gets worse. The 39-year old woman had refused to leave the sofa even to toilet herself, thus she had done all of "that" right in the sofa. As a result her skin had actually become fused with the fabric of the sofa.

Rescue workers could not remove her from it for that reason, so they had to take both her and the sofa by truck--as an ambulance could not accomodate the pair--to Martin Memorial Hospital South.

It is said the stench of the sofa and surrounding area was so noxious that rescue workers had to wear protective clothing and use ventilating hoses while they planned a strategy for getting the woman to the hospital. Their plan which took hours to implement included removing sliding glass doors to take the woman and the sofa out of the filth and feces filled room in which she resided. All the effort was for naught as the woman died, still attached to the sofa, shortly after reaching the hospital.

Neighbors said they never even knew she lived there. They only knew of the 54-year old man who "cared" for her.

The Florida Department of Children and Families has never been called to the home and did not know such a situation existed. An investigation is now taking place as to how such a thing could happen and possible charges of abuse and neglect may be filed.

My own editorial comment here is that I just cannot imagine the pain and suffering this woman must have endured over the years and question how she could have survived so long under these unspeakable conditions.
  2. That was truly one of the most disturbing things I've read. That is all.

3. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Ugh, how horrible. Like the half-ton man, this would not have been possible if someone were not enabling this ridiculous, destructive behavior. She may not weigh a half-ton, but, to me, she's far more disgusting.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had the chance to ride with Paramedics when I was in high school as part of a community service project in my Civics class.

We were called to a home where a woman noticed a foul stench that smelled like something dead in her home. When we arrived, we found out she was well over 600 pounds, and confined to her bed. As the real paramedics started looking around, they realized SHE was the source of the stench. As they examined her body, the discovered a rotten sandwich had become stuck in one of her rolls. I had to assist with the "search" of her body. She said that she did remember losing one of them a few MONTHS ago while she was eating. Anyway, the lost sandwich grew into her skin, and the paramedic had to cut it out, and stitch her up.....the sandwich had become a part of her body. Yeah, I threw up, and realized being a paramedic was not in my future.

5. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

Oh yeah, why didn't they just take the couch cushions with them instead of the whole couch?
  6. I just lost my appetite. I think I need to go throw up.
  7. might have been a leather sofa. :meh:
  8. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yes well don't these EMS people have knives on hand? There would have been some in the kitchen.

These people should be better problem solvers. If our very own "Bard2dbone" had been on the case, this lady would still be alive and on a fresh couch.
  9. And if McGyver had been there..... :D

10. He could of done it with a toothpick, a nailclipper, and a signed autograph of Jimmy Carter.
  11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA opposed to an unsigned autograph? :D

Sorry, just being dumb. Anyway, I can't believe someone would let themselves come to that. It makes me feel really guilty about just having eaten at Taco Bell.
  12. Are you ****ing serious???
  13. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You know, one day I'll probably end up like that lady.

14. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The Paramedics CUT out the sandwich? That seems unlikely to me, EMS is for life-support and rapid transport, objects like that are left for surgeons to deal with.
  15. Boplicity

My guess is that a six hundred pound woman who hasn't walked in six years and has become fused with the sofa would be extremely difficult to get underneath to remove the sofa cushions. Furthermore, I imagine the sofa cushions which are filled with six years of excrement are probably fused to the sofa frame. The entire sofa probably served as a better support than the cushions alone would have been.

The two other issues were supporting her massive and limp body--essentially dead weight. Plus, the odor which was so overpowering that the rescue workers had to wear masks and ventilator hoses. Thus, they had some mobility issues of their own.

Cutting her off the sofa or just taking her with the filthy cushions still left the problem of moving that much weight. She was eventially moved on the sofa to a flatbed truck which hauled her to the hospital. How she was delt with there has not been reported.

The autopsie listed her cause of death as morbid obesity.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Make that, "self-inflicted pain and suffering," please.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As opposed to a stamped-on autograph like the ones I keep getting on the official photographs of G-dub and Laura Bush at the ranch.
  18. Boplicity

19. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    That is bizarre. Would someone care to explain to me how ones skin becomes GRAFTED to a couch like that??? I just don't see that happening. :eyebrow:
  20. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ahhh, so it's hard to carry a 600 lb woman with just couch cushions.