Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

News on glues?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Suburban, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Just thinking on this hide glue. I know it is great for glueing wood, but how does it work with metal or graphite?

The issue is whether it is possible, or rather plausible, to use for neck stiffeners, i.e. to join metal or graphite to wood.

Any info? Other suggetions?

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sub., As a general rule, hide glue is used for gluing parts together that may need to be disassembled later if needed. Hide glue is normally used to fasten wood joints.

A tip on hide glue. If you only need a small amount, Knox gelatin from the grocery store works the same as hide glue .

Just remember that hide glue will soften and fail under heat/moisture.

Things like body wings on a neckthrough should never be fastened with hide glue.

Hope this answers your question.

Pkr2

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Nope.
    I have read up on hide glue in wood joints. Thanks anyway, no info is ever lost info.

The questions remaining are:
    hide glue in metal-to-wood joints?
    and
    hide glue in graphite-to-wood joints?

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sorry, Sub. I got so busy typing that I forgot to answer your question. :)

You could make metal parts stick together with hide glue, provided you have enough glue surface area but it would be a weak joint.

gluing graphite with hide glue might work but I've never tried it. I would not want to use the two materials together in a high stress application such as a bridge.

My curiosity is killing me. :) why would you want to use hide glue on metal or graphite? You would end up with a questionable joint at the very best. There are any number of adhesives that are better suited, such as epoxy, polyurethane(Grizzly glue) or even super glue.

Regular yellow carpenters glue (Titebond) works in lots of applications where hide glue is traditionally used. Disassembly Is accomplished with heat.

Epoxy can only be disassembled with explosives! :)

Pkr2

5. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I'm not a glue expert (but I play one on TV :)), but I stumbled accross this site the other day. Page down a little, and there is a chart with all the glues, with pros & cons of each. Hope it helps!

http://www.mimf.com/minifaq.htm

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Curious, are we? ;)
    Quite simple: I don't want to use too many (=2) different kinds of adhesives when I build instruments. Hide glue is ancient technology in woodwork and luthierie, and works lovely in any wood joint, provided you don't keep it at more than 45 degrees Celsius.
    However, some of us prefer awful thin necks, so reinforcements are needed: truss rods and graphite or metal stringers. These are most often fastened using epoxi, which is a discusting mixture, or cyanoacrylate (super glue) which is no better. I would very much prefer a non-toxic and environment friendly substance.

Therefore I asked. Thanks for all answers.

Oh, BTW, that Knox gelatine,,,,,,is that ordinary gelatine or something special?

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    And now I know. :)

Good reasoning, Sub. I believe I would make a test joint or two before I tried using hide glue for a final assembly when gluing dissimilar materials like wood to graphite or metal.

I agree that some of the newer glues like epoxy are are nasty to work with but I would think long and hard about limiting myself to one type of glue. There are a lot of benefits to using the right glue for a particular type of joint.

Unless you plan to build a lot of instruments, hide glue may be the least desirable of choices for the only glue used in an instrument.

An electric glue pot is almost a necessity. Hide glue is not readily available like some of the more modern glues. I personally think a hot glue pot smells like the north end of a south bound skunk, but that's just my opinion.

I suggest that you go for it. I would appreciate an update on your success.

Yes the plain old garden variety Knox gelatin has the same properties as hide glue.

Anyhoo I wish you the best of luck with whatever your glue of choice ends up being.

Pkr2