News paper prints??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stilettoprefer, May 20, 2012.

1. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Hey, so we are in the process of tearing down this old shed that's been on the property for longer than we've lived on it, and we never really searched around its attic.

What little searching my dad has done in it (I'm crippled, so I can't do anything:p) has turned up some interesting things. The oddest thing that he's pulled down is this stack of metal sheets with newspaper articles/ads on them.

They arent negatives, so we're not sure what they could have been used for.... Anybody have any ideas??? Next time I go outside I'll snap a picture of one. The dates on them are like early 50's and 60's.

Could they maybe be worth something?? Not any famous articles on them that I saw, just ad type things.

2. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    If they are unique/cool ads, you can have them photocopied and sell them. They are all over Ebay. For example, people sell ads from some old hometown industries that no longer exist when I search paraphernalia for my hometown (I collect local history 'artifacts'). I assume they are able to sell if they keep listing them.

Other than that, they could have been saved for almost any reason. They are newspaper clippings? Or pressings or templates for newspaper issues?

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    They're big metal sheets that have the words printed on them. The print isn't reversed, so they aren't negatives.

The sheets are pretty thin aluminum.

None of us are familiar with the newspaper printing process, so we don't have a clue as to what they'd be used for.

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

5. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    ^ probably.

6. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    I work at a newspaper. But we've always used those new-fangled computer dealies.

There are a couple of old-timers still around that can tell me what they are. I'll let everyone know tomorrow after I ask around.

7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks!!:)

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Rick from Pawn Stars would know, or he'll have one of his buddies stop by and let him know.

-Mike

9. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    You probably have a bunch of old printing plates. Back when I ran the mighty Goss Urbanite the plates were aluminum and about 35" wide. I miss those days.

10. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Sounds like what we have. Is there any value to this old plates? I'll have to dig through them and see if there's any cool articles.

If they aren't worth anything then one of them will make a couple of cool pick guards:D

11. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Ok that was funny.:D

12. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    Yes, indeed what you have are printing plates. They were made daily to run on the press, then often mashed up and recycled to be used again.

As to value, I couldn't tell. It's an odd thing to randomly keep. Are you sure there isn't an important headline on one of them? Or maybe an article about something close to home?

13. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    I believe they are commonly known as (newspaper) "press plates". They were physically attached to the rollers of the printing press to "press" the image onto the paper.

As others have said, it would be unusual to save them if they didn't have some sort of unusual headline, photo or story on them.

14. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Idk, the last owner was kinda weird. We find weird things all over the place. He buried random car parts all over a pastier, so we have to dig axles and crap out whenever they surface. Even found a bathtub in the middle of a blackberry patch haha.

I'll have to take a closer look at the plates when I get home today. I remember a couple of them having sections cut out, so he could have taken those articles that meant something to him and just hoarded the rest in the shed attic:p.

Thanks for the help guys:)

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Use the plates to print "vintage" t-shirts.

-Mike

16. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Worth about 50 cents a pound at the scrap yard. Commonly stolen by dishonest workers at the plant. We fired at least one guy a year for walking out with plates.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021