Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newsted Style

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jsbassist, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Jason Newstead is Metallica's old bass player, and for thoes metallica fans here can help me I hope. I want to know how he gets that crunchy, poppy, choppy sound he gets. (I hope you know what I mean). Like in Sad but true, or enter sandman, or a lot of the songs on load, and some on Reload. I asked some friends, and they said he snaps the strings with his pick. (Like poping, but with a pick). And I have been trying everything to do it but it does not work. Also AC/DC's bass player does it sometimes to, along with other older metal bands. I know its not an effect, or his tunning, and he uses round wound strings. It could be in his amp, or the sound they can give to his bass maybe, but I don't know. I hope that someone can please help me. I love that sound he gets, I even tryed the same type of picks too, which I know love.

2. He uses a pick, and a Mesa/Boogie amp *I think*. I would imagine that he's got some kind of distortion going on 24/7. It's fair game on anything else, I don't know the rest.

3. ClassikMetal71

ClassikMetal71

Apr 6, 2002
    The main thing he does is use a pick, and hit the string harder than normal

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    He just plays really hard, the way that most bassists have been taught NOT to play. I dont think its an effect, because Jason has never used an effect, he only uses(used) them when he plays For Whom The Bells Tolls, because Cliff used it. So basically he just plays in between the last p/up and the bridge and plays kinda...hard ish

5. stonedbassist

stonedbassist Guest

Mar 16, 2002
    chicagoland
    Quite some time ago i was thinking the same thing, and what i figured out was that the controls on my T-40 can get pretty much any sound i want, this one being to put the bridge pickup in single coil mode with the tone all the way up to cover the crunch in his tone and also have a bridge hummbucker with the tone off to cover the rumbly low so important in Metallica's sound.:cool:

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    No, he uses an Ampeg SVT(4 I think) head with a 4x10 cab in the studio, anyway. And of course he has them Sadowsky p/u's and the pick and The Power Wah and Phase and all the other stuff he uses...

7. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    AMPLIFIERS:
    Mesa/Boogie 1x15 combo
    Mesa/Boogie with SWR Heads
    Gibson Skylark Guitar amp
    Fender Folded Horn 1x18
    1974 Ampeg SVT head
    Ampeg SVT cabinets
    Ampeg SVT III (x4)
    Ampeg SVT Vintage
    Ampeg SVT 8"x10" pro speaker cabinets
    Ampeg ISO Vent 10"x15" speaker cabinets
    Ampeg B-15 combo amp

EFFECTS:
    Boss Flanger BF-2
    MXR Phase 100
    Mu-Tron III Bass Pedal
    Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
    Korg G-5 Bass Synth Processor
    Electro Harmonix Big Muff
    Alesis Mediverb II
    BBE Sonic Masimizer
    Morley Power Wah Boost

So you STILL dont believe me huh? :p Click here :D :p

8. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I don't know really what he sounds like because Metallica always buried him in the mix. Is there even any bass on "And Justice for All?"

I saw them live and Jason played a 10 minute solo with a pick that sounded suprisingly funky. And yes, he does hit the strings VERY VERY hard!! It's a shame that he wasn't allowed to stretch a little more with Metallica though. I pity whoever replaces him.

9. If a bass player is (excuse me) dumb enough to want to join those pansy assholes after how they treated Newsted and how they treated the American public, I'm not sure if they even deserve pity. Just my opinion.

10. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If you want to stay at talkbass much longer, i suggest you go back and really think about what you said in there and edit it with fine detail

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    no need, I did it.