1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newsted vs Trujillo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LCMBassist, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    So after getting the new Metallica album, what are people's opinions? Does Rob suit the band aswell as Newsted?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Yes. He has bigger muscles.

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    he's good, but he's no Cliff. blah blah blah. Here it comes, you know the haters are all going to weigh in here. :meh:

4. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    It's kinda like having your own kids. You don't like one of them better or worse.... just different kids... or bassplayers. They have a bit of diversity between playing style and how they each affect the way the band sounds as a whole. For example, Jason played more of a 3rd guitar most of the time. It made the guitar riffs sound fuller, but sometimes left the drums as the only member of the rhythm section. Rob plays a more rhythm oriented bass role, and fills the rhythm section out nicely... but the guitars don't sound as big as they used to (also because James and Kirk went from smiley face EQ to more mid-heavy guitar sound).

They both contribute(d) great things to the band. But neither one could have compared if Metallica had let Claypool in as member #4. :p

5. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    No, Robert is not Cliff and to suggest otherwise is sacrilege! But Cliff is not Robert either. 8) I started playing because of Cliff so there will always be that special bond to him BUT I think each of Metallica's bassists have brought something of their own to the mix. Jason had a better live tone than Cliff. Rob's tone sucks live but he is a much more skilled bass player than Jason(but certainly not Cliff). Rob is the cover story in this month's bass player magazine and in the article he talks about how he is taking lessons to further his abilities. Great humility really, being in the biggest band on Earth and knowing you still need to learn more. And for his album work, I think he has done a much better job with his bass lines than Jason. Jason's bass lines always seemed to be the epitome of simple, too simple. Cliff always seemed to find little areas here and there and color them with creativity, a gift.:bassist:

6. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    uuugh... not a fan in the slightest! but i read the interview.

the most profound segment was wheh he said it makes no sense to compare X player to Y player.... Jaco to Will Lee.... Larry Graham to Geddy etc.... opinions aside, i see not an ouce of relevance in asking this question.

not hating, just exhausted with "who's better/who's best" topics... TB or real life! all the players have offered their talent.... all very different....

Newsted vs Trujillo is no different than Picasso vs Escher.....F-in yawn man! RT is a huge player, JN is a huge player, CB is a huge player.... respect to them all.... none more fitting than the next.

now, where are those jazz vs P threads?

7. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    Ok, I'll throw my opinion in to the mix. Cliff Burton WASN'T as suited to Metallica as Newsted, and Newsted's the best bassist they ever had. Discuss.

8. [​IMG]

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Ron McGovney FTW!

10. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    [​IMG]

11. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    I will go further and say Cliff Burton wasn't doing anything that spectacular. I listen to his bass solos....and think 'meh'. Orion was the best thing he ever did.

12. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    oh and welcome to talk bass.

13. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    I think RT is doing more a bass player job than what JN was doing

14. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I think overall Trujillo is the better fit for Metallica. I've heard Hetfield say the same thing, or at leat that he is contributing more.

15. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    oh sweet jesus i'm watching this channel.

16. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    You have to consider Call of Ktulu, Orion, etc. etc. he had a lot of songwriting credits (6 out of 8 songs on Ride the Lightning). I hate his stupid tone and Anesthesia is kind of a wank but he shaped the face of Metallica in a lot of ways... Introduced them to the Misfits and added a lot of Lovecraftian elements to their lyrics and "mystique".

That said.

I like Newstead more. And it's a god damn shame because he was a fantastic songwriter and James wouldn't let him express his creativity (at least that's my read of the situation). My Friend of Misery has an amazing riff that comes out best in his live solo at the '92 San Diego show - I think they ruined the actual song. And when they say ...AJFA is full of him mirroring the guitar tracks, well, millions of metal bands do that, namely Bolt Thrower, etc. etc. there's nothing wrong with that in my book, and plus I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to write more interesting riffs and got shut down. You have to remember that Newstead is incredibly prolific, having played in Gov't Mule, Sepultura, Voivod, Flotsam & Jetsam, Echobrain, etc. he's not just a lunkhead chugging the E string. And he fit Metallica so well, headbanging with that awesome haircut, wearing the tight black pants, black Alembics and Sadowskys, he just seems like a metal guy, whereas despite Trujillo's history in Suicidal Tendencies he looks like a damn dirty ape.

BUT!

Trujillo suits "new Metallica", and for me that is an indication of how low they've sunk. Old guys that should have retired a decade ago, wearing sweatpants, shopping at Prada, writing songs that are nothing really but attempts to repeat their older material. Tension gone because of psychiatric counseling. Rehab. They are now more Alternative Rock than Thrash, and Trujillo fits that with his football jerseys (a la System of a Down :scowl:) and his gorilla stage antics and his terrible clanky Korn tone. His bass lines sound solid on Death Magnetic but it's too bad because all the songs are relatively weak (although better than St. Anger).

I think all of Metallica's bassists suit the time period and stage that the band was in at the various times they played and the real question is, which "version" of Metallica did you like best? I know I would kill a man to have front row mosh pit at the '92 San Diego show because for me that show embodied everything Metallica, and while I love the older material and hugely respect Cliff, Newstead played that show excellently. And his bass solo rules.

*end rant*

17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Read the rules.

No vs. threads allowed.

Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.