Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newsted's True Feelings?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Former METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted called into The Blitz 99.7 FM in Columbus, Ohio Thursday afternoon (July 31) to talk about touring with VOIVOD and OZZY OSBOURNE on this year's Ozzfest and to answer a few METALLICA-related questions.

When asked for his opinion of the new METALLICA album, "St. Anger", Newsted said, "As a fan, it's pretty hard to listen to, tonality-wise. I think it's not very pleasing to the human ear. There's other albums that sound better, production-wise. Songwriting-wise, it's not bad. But I think that it could have been a lot more pleasant to listen to. If the [bonus] DVD would not have been [included] in the album, they would have been screwed. They redeemed themselves by putting in that DVD and showing that Lars [Ulrich] can actually play double-bass drums and stuff like that. Because I know, myself, as a fan, and a lot of other fans have questioned that for awhile — the actual abilities of the band anymore. So I'm really glad, as fan, that they put that DVD in."

SOURCE: BLABBERMOUTH.NET

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I agree with what he's saying but I think he's being polite so he dosen't look bad.

St. Anger is AWEFUL, in my opinion.

3. Worst CD I ever bought:(

4. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    The album is crap, but the songs themselves weren't that bad live. It goes without saying that they weren't half as good as the good stuff, but still.

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    "...longtime fans say [St. Anger] represents [Metallica's] more authentic side, whether or not pop radio likes it." Yeah, whatever. Even a true fan knows when he's holding a turd. Some of these "fans" seem to have been totally brainwashed. St. Anger could very easily been called St. S***ter, or even S**t Anger.

I give Anger two thumbs down and the following review: S**t sandwich.

:spit: :spit:

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    [​IMG]

7. Derek: Where'd they print that, where'd they print that?
    David: Where did that appear?
    Nigel: That's not real, is it?
    Derek: You can't print that!

8. Looks like a chocalate covered pretzel:D

-Noj:oops:

9. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

:D Ah man I musta broke my keyboard! That is some funny stuff! :D

10. Skavenger

Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Sweden
    They have a little too much from the nu-metal branch of the buisness to be liked, I mean Metallica without solos? come on...
    There is another metal group that failed worse than Metallica with their latest album, so totally selling out and trying to get new fans.
    Machine Head.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Wow - I'm scared to play the CD now - I watched the DVD (partly) and thought it was OK - nothing more.

I think Mr Newsted is being polite - doesn';t make him a bad person though!

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Woodchuck could you tell me where on blabbermouth to find the rest of that article, thanks

13. MAJOR METAL

whats the name of it

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    hehe thats why i didnt buy it :p :D especially after hearing it on MTV then on all other music channel day&night and seeing how hard they try to sell it... theres an old saying here: "good wine doesnt need advertising"

15. MAJOR METAL

I thoght it would have a name other then the bands name, i went and picked it up today i listen to a littel of it sounds like Jason is playing more destorted bass.

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Worst Dread is:

Just wait. In a year ALL the Metal-Nu-Metal is going to be played/sound like St. Anger.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I agree with him, I like the songs, just the production sucks. The sound off the DVD is much better.

Sorry Bob!