1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newsweek March 10,2008 issue page 54...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Eilif, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Check out the caption for the large picture.

Yet another media outlet mistakes a Double Bass as a Cello, I wrote a letter to the editor as follows:

Dear Editor,

The gentleman in the center large photo on Page 54 is carrying a Bass (aka. Bass Violin, Doublebass, Contrabass), not -as was noted in the caption- a Cello (aka violoncello). If your writers would like a general rule for identification, once a stringed instrument of the violin/viola/cello/bass family nears the height of the player, it is a Bass. A small matter perhaps, but as an amateur member of this much neglected group of lower register instrumentalists, I can say that it would have been nice to open the pages of your magazine and see one of our own pictured and correctly identified. Admittedly, the waters of popular knowledge have been murky ever since Jack Black equated Cello to Bass in School of Rock, but as a reputable news magazine, I hope that from now on your staff will take extra measures to ensure that bassists get their due.

Sincerely,

2. dar512

dar512

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you, on behalf of all the low-lifers. :D

3. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Whenever I bring my bass to school, almost every teacher who talks to me about it says,

"Is that your cello?"

4. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    At least they didn't call it "the big guitar":rollno:

5. Krispy

Krispy

May 21, 2007
    NJ USA
    Today's journalists generally know nothing about what they write.

6. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    "why don't you play the piccolo?"

"looks like your violin has thyroid problem"

7. jakusx

jakusx

Nov 11, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale
    Don't lump journalists together like that. General statements like that are rude and rarely true.

8. Basicbassist

Basicbassist

Feb 9, 2007
    New Jersey
    ...or, as happened to me once, a "basoon." Yes, honestly: "Is that a basoon?" was the quote. :rollno:

9. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    To which I always respond, "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

10. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    +1! Bravo!

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    On a long-distance move, the company listed my instrument on the inventory as a tuba. :eek:

Then, when carrying the bass, there's the ubiquitous, "Bet you wish you'd chosen to play something smaller." Indeed, I actually meant to choose an instrument based on size. Guess I screwed up. :rolleyes:

12. Ouch!

Signed,
    Wineaux
    Upright thumper AND journalist

13. How about this:

Today's journalists may or may not know a thing about what they're writing on -- but either way, the vast majority of them have utterly failed us in the role of informing, educating and keeping an eye on the powers that be. Unless of course our only concern is celebrity hijinks and jingoistic megaphoning. :)

And now back to the topic at hand.

PS - sorry Wineaux. I don't know what you've written but hopefully you're not part of the "vast majority".

14. Mingus,

How about this: Journalists are just like upright bass players, accountants and everyone else. Some are incredibly good at what they do and work hard at it. Some are incredibly bad at it or are lazy and look for every shortcut they can take.

And just as not every upright thumper plays jazz, not every journalist is a government watchdog. Some cover sports, some cover music, some cover celebs. The good ones just happen to cover whatever it is well.

For the record, I cover one of those few topics we don't talk about on this board (in Washington, if you need a hint).

Alas, for the purposes of this board, I am a MUCH, MUCH better journalist than I am a bass player. But I've been the former for more than 30 years and the latter for about a year.

And NOW back to the original thread!

15. foilracer

foilracer Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    (bass on my back....I'm walking into rehearsal hall)

"Is that your lunch?"

16. Thanks W, that sounds about right to me.

I certainly didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, just jumping at the chance to share my frustration with the state of things... it really has nothing to do with you personally and it definitely has no business being here on this board... so, Sorry!

17. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    In the mid 70s when I started playing bass the ISB had put out a lapel pin that said "I love Bass". I couldn't get over how man people asked me if I liked to fish.

18. arthurzen

arthurzen

Feb 29, 2008
    New England

Haha! Same here.

I was at a party where a couple bands were playing and my friend, who is a singer/guitarist, asked me to accompany him on bass for a few tunes. Afterwards, I was talking with the bassist from one of the bands and I mentioned I played DB, at which he said "Oh you mean a bassoon!"

I guess the blank stare on my face registered and he asked "Isn't that what they call it?" To which I replied "The bassoon is a woodwind..."
    :)

19. When I tell people I bought an upright I usually have to tell them it's "the big cello" :rollno: what a shame

20. chuck1073

chuck1073 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Preston, CT
    Peter Tambroni had some stickers on his site that read..
    "NO...I don't wish I played the flute"...I think I got the last ones.....

Kinda says it all huh? :p