NewTobias basses in the U.K.?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Mar 16, 2005.

1. RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    anyone know anywhere in the U.K. who are stocking the new gibson Tobias basses? and what price tag they carry? Thinking about getting a Tobias Killer B 4 (Nat finish) Some reviews of the bass would also be cool, or if anyone has one for sale.
  2. MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
  3. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    The Tobias Toby Deluxe and Pro versions are cheaper versions of the Gibson era-Tobias basses. I'm looking forward to getting a Toby Pro, myself, but they're definetly not the same as regular Tobias basses in any way.

4. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    If your looking to get a brand new US made Tobias, your probably better off spending your cash in the "used" department. However, the Korean "Toby Pro" and Toby Deluxe" basses are superb instruments for the money, though they're not a boutique bass Tobias was known for.
    The newly re-issued US made Tobias basses have been getting horrible reviews lately, and they're definately expensive. However, I think I remember reading a post on here that Gibson has finally caught on to the bad reputation associated with the new US Tobias', and are making big management/employment changes at the factory in Arkansas. Whether or not it helps Tobias to finally put out some nice basses remains to be seen.
    If you ask me, they should just move their Signature, Basic, Classic, Killer B, and Growler basses to their Korean factory where they know how to build an instrument.
  5. munificent

Mar 15, 2005
    I play a Toby Pro 4 (Lefty) and I love it. I'm not a bass expert, but I found it way more playable than my previous P-Bass clone. The sound is very clean, and you can adjust the sound a good bit using the two pickups. Visually, it is gorgeous, and I get a ton of comments about it. The satin finish is wonderful.

If you get one, you will probably notice the output level is very quiet, but that's nothing an amp or DI can't fix.

For < $500 (a scratch and dent from, I am really pleased with my purchase.

It's not a "real" Tobias, though, in that Michael Tobias was not involved in it's production. For the real deal, I think you have to go with MTD basses now.
  6. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

To anyone looking at Tobias basses, I highly recommend that you check out the MTD Kingston and Heir basses before laying down your hard-earned cash. They're inexpensive, they play really well, QC is way up there and they sound wonderful. :^>)
  7. NCorder

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    +1 on all counts.
    I have 2 Toby Pro-5's that I adore. They sound, play, and look great! And for what I spent on them, I'm not scared to gig with 'em. In fact I've put mine thru a lot of hell, and they've proven to be quite the workhorses!
    If the low output bothers you, you can replace the stock preamp with a Bartolini or Aguilar for fairly cheap.
    If your looking for a new bass made by Mike Tobias, look at the MTD's, though there are slight design differences between the older Tobias Basses and the MTD's. It's all in what you prefer.
  8. munificent

Mar 15, 2005
    I got an MXR M-80 DI Box with distortion and it's solved my low output problems and then some. I love that pedal.
  9. NCorder

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    IMO, the Kingston and Heir pickguard and headstock kinda ruined it for me. The few I've played felt and sounded great, but just wasn't enough to convince me to trade either of my Toby's for partial payment on one. But man, the 535's I've played are the dogs danglies! If only I had that kind of cash!
  10. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

The pick guard has now been changed so that should help out for some folks.

As for the "dogs danglies", I LOVE that!! I'm sure that Mike could use that in an advertising campaign! What kind of dog would be best suited for such a task? lol :hyper:
  11. NCorder

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    Have you seen the movie National Lampoon's Van Wilder? There's a Bulldog in it that made me jealous! He would HAVE to be the dog used in the MTD commercial!
    Anyhow, I'll hafta check out the new pickquards sometime.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - if anybody wants the "real deal" - I am selling a pre-Gibson Tobias Classic 5 in the UK!! :)

This was hand-made by Michael Tobias and his small team, before they sold out to Gibson.

It's in the Bass Centre in London.