Nexo technology and bass rigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Petebass, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I was treated (and I really mean treated) to a demonstration of Nexo PA systems recently. For those who are unfamiliar, they have developed a processor that somehow reads or simulates all sorts of data from the voice coil of the speakers and zaps frequencies one by one before they distort or clip.

It works so well I couldn't believe my ears or my eyes. This tiny PA would fit into the boot of a sedan. It consisted of 2x8 inch+horn and a single 12' Sub which produced pant-flapping bottom end and an overall volume that would compete with PA's that would barely fit into a large van. All of this with a sound clarity that I couldn't fault. The bigger versions were equally amazing and louder again.....

My question is multi part:-

Can anyone offer a more technical explaination as to how exactly the processor works?

Will this technology become affordable during my lifetime (The above PA was AUS$12,000, so US$6,000)?

Can this technology and theory be applied to Bass rigs?
  2. I used to sell them. To me, they sound like Mackie studio monitors and have about the same coverage pattern. They definitely would NOT be my first choice for PA for a number of reasons: One, they're underpowered. Two, their coverage is sacrificed for fidelity; what good is such an expensive PA if only the middle aisle is getting its best sound? Three, for the money, EAW, Bag End, Mackie, and Electrovoice all have comparable systems that I like better. Four, single subwoofer systems are usually just overglorified home theaters and the small Nexo is no exception.

Nexo's' hi-fi' sound is the result of phase aligned drivers which are used in conjunction with their processor, which is basically just an overglorified Aural Exciter. (It's a compressor with an additional harmonic distorion generator.) There's a problem with that for PA, though, because tight phase alignment makes for a VERY small 'sweet spot' and high frequency dispersion is extremely limited, much more so because the driver is so small. Did you move around much during the demo?

I was never impressed with their bass sound. It was always boomy and indistinct to my ears and lacked true fundamentals. I also can't stand Bose in the same way to give a more familiar point of reference. I'm sure you could buy the subwoofer and a single PA cab and use it as a bass rig. A lot of guys use powered PA cabs for bass amps. Meyer is considered the standard for those.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thanks Psycho. I wouldn't buy one either - not for that sort of money.

No I didn't move around much at the demo, too crowded. But I have since found out that a couple of Bars in Sydney have got Nexo's permantly installed as live band PA's. One of those bars is only 5 minutes from my house, the other is 30 minutes away that has a much larger Nexo rig. I'll go and have another listen, this time in the less controlled environment of a live gig, and I'll move around the room as you suggested.

Since you seem to know a fair bit about them, can I ask another question. At the demo they took a sm57 and set it as loud as we could stand. Then he placed the mic right in front of the speaker and pointed it straight at em. We all covered out ears expecting a loud shreiking feedback but - Silence. No feedback at all. He gave the credit to the processor?
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Yeah, feedback elimination is nothing new. That's not really a good test of it either - it's only got the feedback to process and get rid of. In a real-world situation with all kinds of other signals going through the system, that would be more difficult.
  5. That's a sales trick. They programmed the response curve of the SM57 into the processor prior to the demo. It's especially telling that you said you heard only silence. You should have at least heard some kind of background noise if the mic was turned that loud. Did he speak into the mic while it was pointed at the speaker?
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually now that you mention it, no he didn't talk into it while it was pointed at the speaker. I've just been salesman-ised. I'm glad I asked now.

I'm still gonna pop into those pubs and have a sticky-beak though. Like you say, real world situations bring out the best and worst in everything.