Next bass for someone hooked on 35" scale 4 string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Feb 10, 2004.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Okay, I'm about as hooked as they come on my Peavey Cirrus 4 string, which is a 35" scale instrument. The bass just felt "right" from the moment I first picked it up. Now I gig with it exclusively, and my trusty old Jazz that I played for years is starting to feel a bit less "right." I especially like the way that my left hand gets to play a bit further away from my body on the Cirrus. Playing at the 12th fret and higher seems much easier, and the extra stretch on the lower positions has not been a big problem, even given my modest stature and hand size.

Okay, now I have three issues (at least): 1. I really like the tone of my Cirrus, but I'd like something a little different from my alder/maple/pau ferro axe; 2. The GAS is talking to me; 3. There just aren't many other 35" scale four strings out there for me to test whether the feel I love in my Cirrus is a '35" scale thing,' or a 'Cirrus thing.'

I am looking closely at a Sadowsky Metro (Vintage 4), which of course is a 34" scale. I know I'll be happy with the sound (though I certainly am not wedded to a J sound or style, mind you). I've never gotten to play a Sadowsky, but I doubt I'll be disappointed when they arrive in select shops in a few months. As I said above, though, my current J seems to have lost a bit of charm - not in terms of sound, but my hands can seem to get into a more comfy position on the Cirrus. Wearing the Jazz up really high helps, but it's still not the same.

I could pick up another Cirrus, with a different wood combo (I'm thinking walnut would offer the best contrast to my maple/alder axe - any opinions there?), but I'd probably have to order one without the opportunity of testing it first (I don't know where they're hiding all the Cirri in Texas, but I have trouble finding 'em). I think that the difference in sound won't be all that great, however. Again, opinions?

The other option I can think of is to order a custom/luthier built bass at 35" scale and hope for the best. I could spend a lot of dough on an instrument that I'd take a huge loss on if I didn't absolutely love it and decided to sell - that's a risk I'd rather not take. I wouldn't mind paying for my 'ultimate dream axe' - but how to know if I'll love it before it's built?

Hmmm... anyone have any thoughts or been in a similar quandary? :meh:
  2. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I've played the Walnut Cirrus and in contrast to the Maple(Which I own a six string) it's different,but it won't be the biggest change in the world. On the other hand,I played a Redwood model in Guitar Center a couple weeks ago,and it seemed alot "warmer" and less "crisp" than the Maple. If that's the sound you're going for,a little more warmth,it's a good choice. It was $900 for the Redwood 4 string,used. It was in great shape though. -Luke
  3. Mr. Donk, :D I played a Cirrus 5 recently, and I know what you mean about the tone. :hyper: GREAT!

Sam Ash has one in stock and they're asking $1,540, I think.

Anyway, concerning your 35" 4 stringers, a Yamaha TRB4II might be what you're looking for if you want to get one right away. Musiciansfriend has them in stock for $1,099.00

Here they are at the Yamaha site - I can't get the exact page they're on to come up, so you'll have to click on guitars, then bass guitars, then TRB. Sorry.

Good luck.

4. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX

I have gotten to play a Redwood top Cirrus and it's not 'different' enough for me, unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion, though! :)
  5. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    What about a pick-up change? Bartolini? -Luke
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Benavente 24 fret 4 strings are 35" scale...

my issue is the reverse; I want 34" 5 & 6 strings (which Chris' 22 fret necks are... so I guess I don't have an issue :cool: )
  7. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002

I was also a loooong time Fender Jazz kinda guy. When I moved over to 5 strings I still stuck with the ole standard jazz bass. I had a fleet of 6 jazzers. I never thought I'd be any happier with anything other than a jazz. Then one day, on a whim, I went to a music store on the other side of town and decided to try out a Modulus Q5. OMG, what a difference in tone and feel. I, like you, felt much more comfortable on the "35 neck and the tone coming out of this composite neck/wood body was nothing short of incredible. Like modulus says...This is the sound you hear in your head. I spent several hours playing the bass, first telling myself all the reasons why I shouldn't buy a $2500 bass and then, after playing it longer and longer, telling myself all the reason's why I couldn't go home without the Modulus. The credit card came out of the wallet and I walked outta there with my Q5. I haven't regretted it for even a second. It's been the best bass I've ever owned. It plays and sounds like a million bucks.

If your looking for something in a "35 scale and with a tone much different than what your used too, I'd highly recommend you check out a Modulus, be it the Q5, Q4 or any of their other offerings. Give 'em a try. You might like what you hear.

You can read more about the specs on by baby by clicking here

Oh yeah, I've sold off all but one of my Fenders. I figured that I needed to keep one around. Never know when I might have one of those R&B or blues gigs again. Needless to say though, the jazz hasn't gotten much playing time since I discovered the beauty of the Modulus. Good luck.
  8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    mtd 435, like this:

9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Michael: thanks for the Yamaha suggestion. I'm hesitant to commit to anything without playing it first (heck, I'd be ordering a Fodera if I were sure it'd be perfect for me), but that would be a good instrument to try to track down at a GC to test whether another 35" scale instrument would have the same magic feel for me as the Cirrus. A trip to Houston may be in order... :)

Stile: I've thought about that, but I think that the pickup positions are as important as the pups themselves in terms of the Cirrus sound. Then there's figuring out if the preamp would work with other pups and deciding on an alternate preamp, etc that would work within the required parameters. If I thought Peavey would build me a Cirrus to spec or sell me an unrouted body, I'd be keen on exploring those options.

Thanks both
  10. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Try an Elrick. We had that 4 string quilt-topped gold standard in for a bit, and the neck on that thing was unreal. sounded great too. Rob puts out an amazing product.
  11. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Wow, the suggestions are pouring in - thanks, all.

I suppose in the end I'm going to have to face the fact that I can't have my cake and eat it, too. I want a luthier-built custom, but I am scared to commit unless I am able to find a specimen configured almost exactly like what I want, so I can be pretty sure I'll be satisfied with the instrument...
  12. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Warwick? They do have extra long scale 35". -Luke
  13. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    What he said mmmm MTD good, I was saving up for one but lotsa bills came in so I think I'm getting a Roscoe Beck V instead until I start working again.
  14. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    SD, I'm with you on the 35" scale 4's. My quick answer for you is an Ibanez BTB 1000e -- if you've never played one you might be pleasantly surprised (I was blown away). Also I think the Mahogany/Bartolini setup would offer a nice contrast to your Cirrus.

Another option (one I am currently undergoing at the moment) is buying a cheap-ish bolt-on 4-string and having a new neck put on it to make it a 35" scale. I bought a Yamaha BB1500 from MF on a blowout, but never quite jived with the J-bass spacing and 34" scale. So now Chris Stambaugh in NH is carving me a new neck to my exact specs -- and the total price will come out to much cheaper than any 35" 4-string I've been able to track down.

Then again, if I had my druthers (and the dough) I'd just buy a darn MTD 435 ;) :bassist:

15. You could try to find a used American Millenium 4 string.The body shape is the same as the Cirrus and the neck profile is close too.If you run across one at least try it out. The the same as the Cirrus with an added mid sweep and the pickups are J/MM.I've had two Millenium fives and a Cirrus 4 and the quality is about the same.Very nice 35" scale basses.
  16. I second this! :bassist:

I may even wind up buying one of these soon. I was looking at the BTB515, but suddenly there are no BTB515s to be found at Musiciansfriend, or Sam Ash.

17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Trying to get away from the clarity and punch of alder/maple/pau ferro? Try bubinga! Very nice growl in the deep and lo-mid range, strong bass and low-mid, a bit compressed highs, I think this wood would do a nice contrast. Try a Warwick Corvette, but unfortunately, the 35" option only comes with 5-string BOs, so they will feel different... and they ususally have dead strings on... but maybe you will get that bubinga-tone. I have a Corvette 6 and I love mine