Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Next cab help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Ok I have a Gallien Krueger 800 RB amp
    it is biampable (300 to lows, 100 to highs)
    i am running it to a Bag End 4x10 and a tweeter via the low input.

I want to bi-amp but i dont know whether to run to bad end to lows and get a 2x10 or 2x8 and a tweeter for highs or get a 15 or 18 for lows and the 4x10 for highs. Which will give me the more bang for my buck.

the bag end can handle 800 watt and I am looking for a good slap tone. i like having a low growl but still want to be able to hear when i pop the G string which unfortunetly i can only have one or the other now. What should I do?

2. Just remember the ohm load you will be running. The RB-800 puts out 300/4 ohms and 100/8 ohms. If you run two 8 ohm cabinets, the bottom will be getting about 175 watts. If your 4x10 is 8 ohms, I would look for a 1x15 that is 4 ohms, which would give you the full 400 watts from the amp. That rig would be a popper's delight.

3. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    just a thought, 100w into 8ohms doesn't sound like a whole lot of power. it might not be enough to power the 4x10. i think it was really intended for tweeters, like the 4x5 high-mid/tweeter cabs Hartke used to make back in the 80's [am i imagining things or does anybody else remember those?]. anyway, i may very well be wrong on this.

4. Nope, you're not wrong, they just had one of those 4x5 tweeter cabs on ebay.. it still may be there, im not sure thouhg... check it out.:)

5. This has all got me thinking.

The 800 watt cab is 8 ohms and the GK amp is 300 watt at 4 ohm to the lows which is what I am running now.

AM I GETTING THE FULL 300 WATTS OUT OF THE CAB. I HOPE SO.

If not, what is the deal with having enough power to run cabs becasue I dont really know to much in the amp department. I remember hearing someone tell me something about having enought power for that cab, so running that to the 100 for highs is probably not a good idea... thanx for the help guys and let me know about the above problems.

6. No, you aren't getting the 300 watts for the lows, because your cab is 8 ohms, and the amp is 300 watts at 4 ohms. To get the full 300 watts,you would either need another 8 ohm cab (8ohm + 8ohm=4ohm) or a 4 ohm cab for the lows, and go for it and use the 4x10 for the highs, although i dont know if 100 watts is enough for it, I think it would work quite well. I am not an amp expert, but i am 95% sure what i have said here is correct.

7. so how much power am I getting for the lows right now?

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

200 watts. The 800 RB puts out 200 watts into 8 ohms.

You could get another 8 ohm 4x10 and hook them both up in parallel. This would result in the amp putting out it's full 300 watts, but with 8 10's moving air, you would get a lot more volume.

The amp will not run below 4 ohms total, so you couldn't run a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cab at the same time. This would result in a total impedance of 2.67 ohms, which could damage your head. Also, the 8 ohm speaker wouldn't be as loud as the 4 ohm speaker, since it wouldn't get as much power.

Another option would be to trade the 8 ohm cab towards the price of a 4 ohm 4x10, so you could put the full power into one cab. Wouldn't be quite as loud as 2 8 ohm 4x10's, but it would be more portable.

9. What he said :D..

What was i thinking telling you to run at 2.67 ohms?!! :eek: Listen to embellisher. he be smart..

10. embellisher

Not really. I be a moron.:)

But I have learned a lot here at Talkbass over the last year.

11. If the 800RB puts out 100 W into 8 ohms for the "high" amp, would it also put out 200 W into a 4 ohm load? That would be mighty handy having a 300 W and a 200 W but I have never sen it written that way.....my guess is not. What do you think?

12. Lizardking, Your post is still correct. Two 8 ohm cabs put a 4 ohm load on the 300 watt portion. Embellisher was referring to hooking up an 8 ohm cab and a 4 ohm cab to the 300 watt portion, which is a mistake. I believe GK's single 15" cabs are 4 ohms, and their 2x10" cabs are 8 ohms, which is a perfect combination for this amp.

MadSub, At 4 ohms, the 800 RB produces 300 watts, and 200 watts at 8 ohms.

13. I don't believe the 100 watt portion can be run below 8 ohms.

14. embellisher

T Jay, I don't see what you mean.

I was referring to hooking up 2 4x10 8 ohm cabs in parallel to the low output or 1 4x10 cab at 4 ohms to the low output.

I did not say anything about mixing an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm cab.

More specifically, I said THIS.

'The amp will not run below 4 ohms total, so you couldn't run a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cab at the same time. This would result in a total impedance of 2.67 ohms, which could damage your head. Also, the 8 ohm speaker wouldn't be as loud as the 4 ohm speaker, since it wouldn't get as much power'

I recommended NOT mixing an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm, since this head is not rated BELOW 4 ohms.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    T Jay, Embellisher is absolutely correct.

16. I just want to know can I do any damage running the bag end 800 watt cab at 100 watts for highs (or if i use another cab with the lows, at 150)?

will it harm my cab or amp or will it give me worse tone or what exactly will happen. right now it is probably runnin at about 175 watts and i have noticed that once in a while if I dont play it for a while (even after it is on) it takes a second before anything comes through. Its almost like a tube amp. Is this dangerous because it doesnt seem to be a problem while im plaaying or on stage.

if there isnt going to be any serious problems im just going to get a 15 or 18 for the lows and run the 4x10 at 100 watts for highs

17. Hey Guys, we all agree!!

Embellisher, you warned against mixing ohm loads, and I AGREED!

Angus, you're right, Embellisher IS correct!

I'll go back to my Writing 101 text so I can be more clear in the future.
    T Jay

18. embellisher

No biggie, T Jay, I just wondered if my post was confusing or something.

19. Now, NotGeddy, I am not an amp tech, but i am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with your amp. I say just get a 15" for the low end, use the 4x10" for highs, and be done with it!

20. thats what I am probably going t do (with the exception of maybe going for an 18 instead of a 15) but I have heard that is unsafe to run a cab through an amp if the cab can handle ALOT more wattage than your sending to it because it overdrives your amp. Like I said it does take about 30 seconds or so to come on but that might just be becasue I got it used a very cheap price.

sorry guys if i sound whiney but you guys seem to help me out more than the idiots at my local dealer.