Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

next collectors item?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by michael, Mar 1, 2001.

1. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Now that we're kicking ourselves for not snapping up every pre-CBS Fender for $250 a piece and sold our '70s SVTs, what are the next collectibles going to be? I wonder about Sadowskys. They hold their value so well now what happens when Sadowsky's time is up? Through the roof? How about amps?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind having an investment in original Stingrays and Steinbergers. They made an impact on music. (I saw a refinished `60 Precis yesterday, all original except for the tone pot, going for $2290). Good basses with Lane Poors might be good investments, since he seems to have gone off the radar again.

The boutique basses, in general, don't seem to have any landmark effect and seem stay collectible only in "rare air" or in Japan. Of course, if they were owned by a famous artist, that's different.

As for amps, that's a tough one. There are so many, many, available compared to "the olden days," it's hard to say any are significant. For instance, we know how much great music was made on a B-15 or a blackface Bassman. Maybe a Walter Woods, but those are pretty collectible right now, since it's easier to get an audience with the pope than to get in touch with him these days.

Good questions you asked, michael. I pick up my old copies of Bass Player and guitar magazines and see all this gear and think, "Where the hell is all this stuff now?"

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you can find 70's Fenders cheap, go for it. As much as some people don't like it, they're next in line for collectability after the 60's Fenders.

High end 4 strings don't seem to hold their value very well. Alembics are only worth $$'s to original owners. Pre-Ernie Ball Stingrays still seem to be solid.

Sometimes the reasons are hard to understand for collectibility. An early PRS is worth some serious bucks, G&L's are a dime a dozen. That's why I just buy basses I like to play;)

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Talking about both basses and amps!?
    Uh... off to Miscellanious with ya. Shoo! Shoo! :D

5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Just what is it that makes a "used" bass...become a collectable "vintage" one?
    It wasn't so very long ago....that you could find an EKO violin bass for a pittance. It was a mediocre
    bass, at best, and few people showed an interest in them.
    Then....a picture appeared in Bass Player magazine, of Les Claypool holding one. It seemed that overnight, the EKO tripled in price and people was scouring around trying to find one.
    Lately....people have begun to try and sell their EKOs at a profit, but the takers are few. Why? Perhaps because, to begin with, it just wasn't a very good bass.
    And then there are the baby boomers, who are trying to relive their past....and are buying those old "first basses"....(can you say Teisco?) at ridiculous, over-inflated prices.
    I still fall into the category of people who believe, that instuments are to be played...not collected.

6. God(dess) bless us boomers! We buy so much crap trying to relive/repeat our childhoods. I love going into a "vintage" guitar shop and seeing Normas and Teiscos hanging next to late 50's 175s or P basses.
    And not only are they selling these pieces of crap, they are asking $179.95 for them! In the late 70's and early '80's I worked at a music store. The owner was an old jazzer here in town and occasionally would bring in an old axe of his, or an old friend would bring in some old Gibson 125 (that's a geetar for you youngsters). And not a very good geetar I might add.... could hardly give them away. I remember a guy balking at $200 for one of the better ones. Then Goerge Thourogood starts being seen with similar guitars and they went thru the roof. Same as with the Teisco above.

At the same time, I wish I had the old Bassmans, Acoustics, and a couple of Rics and Fender Ps and Js I've had in the past. Had a late 60's 4001 that I actually traded a guy for a microphone! A nice mic, but not worth what the bass is today.

Also.... for those Music Man fans out there:
    The store I worked at was a MM dealer, I bought from the MM Rep a fretless Sabre. It was a prototype that had a rosewood fretboard (or ebony- whichever it was, it was not the wood they wound up using. The Rep comes back to me a few weeks later and says he needs it back, and I GAVE IT BACK TO HIM!!!! I wonder what that would/will be worth. Has anyone else seen a similar animal?

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

fretless- You got me thinking...the second amp I owned, a Sivertone 2-12" that I paid $250 for in the `60's is going for $450 these days. Mine, brand new, wasn't worth the casters I put on it. Later, I got a Norma bass. It was $75 new from some guy who bought a bunch and sold them out of his garage.

So...those Rogues, Samicks, and Ibanez starter packs have me thinking...hmmmmmm ;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Over the last few days, I've been looking at Double Basses and if you want an "investment" these are appreciating much faster than any of the gear mentioned so far. People have been telling me about basses that have doubled in value over the last 2-3 years and the sky's the limit! It's not uncommon for Double Basses to go for more than $100,000 and the range is huge - all the people I have talked to say they can only go up in value.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Right Bruce! The same goes for all classical strings (glad I didn't sell my 1880 violin ;) )

With basses and guitars it only depends on what the next Flea or Fieldy is playing and wether there's another vintage or retro fad going on...

Just try not to sell anything that's still usable, you're gonna regret it some day, and not (only) because of the money it's worth by then.
    I sold an Ampeg V4B some years ago, and I miss the sound of it - and not the money I could get today...

10. I'm hoping that Reverend Rumblefish basses are collectibles someday, because I have #47.. a guy can dream, can't he?