1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'next gen' gaming and HD...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ras1983, Nov 30, 2006.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i recently borrowed my sister's fiancee's(spelling?) xbox 360. at first i was playing it on my SD TV (just a phillips crt). the graphics of F.E.A.R looked pretty, but were only marginally better than an XBOX game. same thing for COD2, PGR3, FIFA.

then i connected the 360 to my computer monitor (having heard that hi-def gaming was where the fun was) and i ran the games at a resolution of 1280 x 1024 or something like that.

Wow, what a difference! the graphics were sharper all round. it was amazing to see the difference between SD and HD. i never realised how washed out 'next gen' graphics looked on normal SD TVs, but now i don't think i could buy a 360 or PS3 without having a HDTV to play on, there is just so much that i was missing out on!

Rant over...:meh:

2. Yeah... they're really screwing us over, aren't they? Not only do we have to shell out the big bucks for these expensive gaming consoles, but then in order to get the full experience we need HD TV's as well. Gah!

3. They're not screwing anyone over, they're simply adapting to higher-end technology.

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I own a 360 and a 50" Sony HDtv.
    The graphics in oblivion are just amazing!!

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    yeah, in HD the graphics are nuts.

there is just no way i could play it in SD now that i know how good HD looks

6. Try Gears of War in HD ^_~

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I've had HD for years, as I am a bonafide home theater geek.

It's not just gaming that's great in HD. The color palette in HD is deeper -- more colors are available. The first time I truly understood what this meant was when I was watching a football game in HD, and realized that the color of the jerseys of my favorite team (Georgia Bulldogs) was exactly right -- just as they are in real life. Switching over to the regular channel, it suddenly became apparent that there was more color information coming through on HD -- the jerseys were red, but not quite the right color of red, and it wasn't something that I could fix by adjusting the color on the TV. It's not just an improvement in resolution, though that is what is most immediately apparent.

FWIW, it's a blast to game in HD on a big screen, and projectors can be had really cheap (under $2K for a good one) these days. You just need a darkened room.

Games like Call of Duty and racing games on the Xbox 360 are fantastic on a 92" screen. :D

8. Console gamers are just now discovering what computer gamers have known for years: gaming on a low res screen is like navigating in a rainstorm without your glasses. Welcome to 2006. :p

It's always amazed me that people happily play 3d games on those tiny screens.