Next gig..... ON A FLAT BED TRUCK?!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    Ok heres the scoop. Our manager has got us booked in the halloween parade. We are playing on a float (Flatbed truck, about 20ft. long and about 8ft wide {i think}) We have a 2400watt generator. The question how do position ourselves on the truck? I'm talkin safteyfor us and the equipment. All the amps are being strapped down with bungee cords, but wat do we do about drums? The set itself should be fine, but what about the stands? also where should we position everyone. HOO man I gut a headache:(
  2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Duct tape. Duct tape everything down. Put a few extra pieces on your shoes, so you don't go flying, either.:D
  3. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    20 ft by 8 feet
    i think that is bigger than my bands practice room
  4. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    You should be OK - I presume the driver won't be goig down any interstates with you on the back.

For the record , I once did the flatbed truck thing about 25 years ago with a Brass Band in the UK - we went around the area trying to raise money for a tour.

Now there was about 25 people on that one...and nobody died....

5. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    heres my first idea, anyone have suggestions?
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Anyone ever see the video to that song "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" By The Georgia Satallites... man I hate that song.
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes, but you will be covering, many, many times in your career as a bassplayer. It will be right up there with Freebird, Johnny B. Goode and Brown Eyed Girl, so you better get use to playing it. :D
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

... don't remind me :(
  9. Will the thing be moving ?! My band did something similar to promote the launch of a club, driving around Grimsby entertaining the drunks.

My cab would'nt even fit on the wagon (well, it were a 7.5 tonne lorry actually!) so i just DI'd and had to use the monitors.....

The drummer went at the back facing forwards, so he wouldn't have his back to anyone and the rest of us just held on for dear life, we got through it though and it is an experience !
  10. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have done a gig on the back of a curtain sider with a full band.

You say the lorry is a flat bed, any chance of it raining?

I would say that the general rules would be to remain seated on a chair without castors and position all amps and cabs so the widest point is the direction of travel (centre of gravity etc). Try to get a pro driver or someone who has done it before. A colleague of mine drives for a local carnival every year-find someone like that.

Monitoring is going to be a bitch so keep stage volumes down. Projection is going to be difficult so keep the volume up. Hmmmm. Good luck and dont expect hi fi quality.
  11. cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    My band has been doing parades for the last 5 years. We have never had a problem with gear falling off. Just make sure it is set level and use duck tape to secure it.
    Chech out this website for photos.
  12. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    You're lucky you didn't get the truck nicked from under you ....

Hey Crosh you ever heard of a band called Valhalla that play around the Bradford area ? they seem to do the same sort of rock covers stuff as you guys - just my older bro's the drummer..;)