1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Next Move

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by logans59, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Fretless P Build

27 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Fretted P Build

15 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Save up and buy a Marcus Miller Jazz

9 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. The one that most resembles a carrot

22 vote(s)
    30.1%
  1. logans59

logans59

Jul 1, 2012
    Kennesaw, GA
    Alright TB community, I need your opinion on what my next bass should be. This will probably be my last bass I buy for several years because I am planning on getting engaged this summer and then I start Grad school so money will get much tighter. I have been a one-bass guy for the whole time I've been playing, about 8 years, and I just want to treat myself. I love the neck on my Aerodyne my next bass will have a Jazz width neck. I was planning on doing a fretless P build, but I've never tried a fretless before. So what do you think?

2. The Sailor

The Sailor

Feb 14, 2012
    Nor Cal
    build a fretless. I was hesitant when buying my first fretless and its very fun and doesnt take long to get used to!

3. Fretless.

'nuff said.

4. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    every bassist should own at least one smooth board...

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I say upgrade your current bass' pickups/tone controls, maybe with an active pre. Take the balance of about $500 and put in savings. Let your gf know that you're looking towards your future together and that saving the $500 is a investment in that future.

Your gf will thank you in many ways.:cool::hyper::cool::eek:

6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    One bass guy! Pfffttt!

TB rule: You can NEVER own too many basses.

Answer to your question is simple: Your next bass needs to be the same as MY next bass (natch). A five string fretless PJ. Say no more.

PS. A Carvin SB5000 fretless (with chambered body) would clearly do it all if you could talk them into a P-bass pickup for the neck position! That would be the last bass you'd have to buy (until the next one). I'm talking MYSELF into one! Where's my latest Carvin catalog?

7. Fretless. Mine is 4 months old (my second bass) and there is nothing more satisfying that picking up a fretless and just playing it. Mine is quite versatile (Squier VM). With a tad of fuzz, I can happily play some Muse or other rock, but the tape wound strings make it sound remarkably close to a double bass too. You can't regret a fretless.

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I want a fretless '51 style P and voted fretless P.

9. THe fretless P is an oddity IMHO. I owned a 1978 fretless P and never really enjoyed it or the tone. Fretless works much better with a Jazz IMHO.

So I voted carrot as you didn't give me that option.

Davo

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I'd say "build yourself a fretless P". I'm doing a similar, although fretted, build right now. So far, here's the PROs;

Customization: I've picked and chosen the parts I want, either from my admittedly limited experience or from advice gleaned from various TB threads/other TB'ers/my local Guitar Center's tech. For example, I found a very nice, new blue-burst P-body on eBay for less than retail cost. And since I prefer Jazz necks, I bought a particular Squier and sold off the body. There are other bits of my imagination-made-real at work, but that's a story for it's own thread.

Cost: The costs have been spread out over a few months and a some online shopping sprees. Instead of dropping a ton of change all in one shot, it's spread out over all this time. So the $300+ I've spent so far (counting the sale of the aforementioned body) has not pinched too badly. By the time I get the last of the electronics I need and do my own bits o' modding, I'll have saved up enough to hand it over to my local guitar tech to do what I cannot.

I, too, have thought about getting a fretless. If my current project is a success, I'll probably nab a used Squier Fretless Jazz and harvest it's neck for another self-made custom build. Only time will tell. :hyper:

11. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Fretless P either build or purchase cuz fretless p's are awesome.

12. logans59

logans59

Jul 1, 2012
    Kennesaw, GA
    I have thought about upgrading my Aerodyne and I might be trading my 5 string for an upgraded squier with EMGs and I would probably put those in the Aerodyne and then maybe down the line get a Victor Wooten pre.
    I already have about $700 is savings for our future and she really appreciates that thoughtfulness ;)

13. logans59

logans59

Jul 1, 2012
    Kennesaw, GA
    I don't like 5 strings, I just tried it and I prefer the higher notes so I see no need for the extra weight and fretboard size.

I will look into that Carvin tho

14. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Why?

'cause even if I'm mostly a metalhead, I love Marcus works, especially live and its signature Jazz bass works very fine in our (metal) music as well

Finally, you have to wait for it, you'll keep money for your fiancée in the meantime, and when you'll be able to afford it, you could tell it's a so particualr piece of an instrument, yet with a specific market and retail price (not the case with any other custom option you may pursue)

Cheers,
    Wallace

15. logans59

logans59

Jul 1, 2012
    Kennesaw, GA
    After looking through the options, I think I would probably go over my budget and I think it would be more fun to get to build my own so I can learn things like proper set-up and intonation, electronics set up, and things like that. I hope it will be a real learning experience.

16. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I would recommend the Carvin B40 kit as a fretless. Probably get it all done for under 600 bucks, and the new alnico pickups sound great.

Not a fan of P basses personally, and I think you have many more tonal options with J pickups. Go from Jaco tones to Esperanza Spalding tones with a few knob rolls.

17. logans59

logans59

Jul 1, 2012
    Kennesaw, GA
    I've looked at those and I'm really just not a fan. Different strokes and all that

18. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    No worries mang, you aren't the only one! hehe. I said that primarily because I did just that some years ago and it turned out to be one of the most amazing fretless basses I've ever had the pleasure of playing, let alone owning. And it is a featherweight. Granted I put DiMarzios in it, this was before the new Alnico pickups came stock.

Granted, the body style of the B series is a little chunky, headstock is a little Carvinny, and etc etc...

But a kit is still a fun way to go, Warmoth or somebody else could set you up with some standard shaped pieces.

19. logans59

logans59

Jul 1, 2012
    Kennesaw, GA
    Ya, I've been doing a lot of planning, next paycheck I'll be buying the body on here, a Squier CV Sonic Blue and then I'm gonna go with a Warmoth neck