Next part of learning

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by steve09, Nov 27, 2004.

1. steve09

Jun 27, 2004
    ive had a bass about 4 months now how ever for 2 and a half months ive been away now im back and i want to carry on learning i can play a few songs Nivarna Come as you are white stripes 7 nation army u know the simple stuff and my question is were should i go to now ive been told to learn some sick of it all as the have good scales or somthing
    p.s i havnt had a lesson yet when should i think about gettin one
  2. TheListPunk

TheListPunk Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Topeka, Kansas
  3. Good call
    I think getting a teacher is the best option it's been said so many times
    Reason is it will not only inspire you but they would point you in the right direction of what to learn and could correct you in any bad habits that you might've picked up
    But also it won't hurt to learn songs by ear as to what you have already done
  4. Teacher, teacher, teacher. If you want to avoid lessons for some reason, you really should teach yourself at least the basics of theory and just get some technique tips to make sure you're playing properly. Basically, scales are good to learn, and it would be nice to get someone to coach you a bit on fingering and techniques such as slapping and tapping if you want to learn them. A teacher would be perfect in that sense. Also, as Jace said, they will inspire you to keep playing by challenging you with new songs and exercises. Ideally you should feel very comfortable with the bass, and develop a decent ear that lets your fingers play what your mind wants to be played.
  5. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    basic theory skills are a must, i have to say though that practicing scales to no end won't do you as much good if you dont have the knowledge to use them. they'll build dexterity and fingerboard knowledge but you need to know how to apply them to chords.