Next Rig, and Qs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Okay, I have a few questions, about a possible next rig, and general q's too...

Okay, Im planning on purchasing a Yorkville XM200(T) it's a 15" driver or two 10" driverswith a tweeter. I can get the whole combo for $400, which, in my opinion is a badass deal. Any thoughts from you TBers out there on Yorkville equiptment? Which one should I go for, the 15, or the two 10s? I like a chunky bottom end, but I like alot of clarity too.

Okay, Are Warwick heads/cabs or combos any good? I always tend to look over them,and straight to the basses.

If I could get an Ampeg SVT210sp for like $300, what type of head should I go for? Im not too sure about what brands sound well with other brands. Same question for an Eden 15", but a little more buck.

Im not looking to spend more than 800 bucks on my nest rig, 1000 at the most as Im trying to save for a Corvette, Rebop, and possibly a USA Millenium right now.

Any answers to any of my rig questions are appreciated, as I need a new rig, ASAP!!!

Anxiously Awaiting Answers!
  2. jde303

Jun 8, 2005
    Ryan I bought both (to Compare) I picked up the XM200t on ebay for 419 (if you go to the company directly they list for $399) I also got from the same folks the XM200 (~350).

Several reasons to consider.
    1) The XM200T gives air flutter because of how it ported if you got to loud (i find this very annoying). IT has two circular ports as opposed to the shelf you find in the 15. The 15 seesm to go FATTER on the bottom end if this is what you are going for.
    2) the 15 is a better stand alone rig for a club (if you get no PA support). IF you will be getting PA support then the 15 may be two boomy and inarticulate. I use the 2x10 when i use a PA and my volume is perfect (master dial on 2-3).
    3) if you use the 15 extension (or plan on geting one in the future) then the 2x10 is the better choice.

Simpley stated, it depends on what you will be doing :meh: .
    but you cannot go wrong with either choice

I love them both :p for being different (my wife is running her keyboard through the 15, and it sounds great).

I currently have the XM400H coming (i plan on running it through a Bag end 210DB). and am selling my xm200t $380 in the local paper (i put casters on it). I will probably regret selling it becuase it sounds go and is portable for smaller-gigs

Why am i selling it? I need more watts for outside gigs (no PA support), AND I LOVE THE SOUND OF THE BAGEND.

I dunno if any of this helped
  3. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    An Ampeg SVT 210 is a cab. A BA 210SP is a combo. It seems like you got the two confused. The head & cab/ combo that is best for you would really depend on what style of music you play, the size of venues you will play and whether you will have PA support or not. If you're playing medium to large venues with PA support at the larger places, I would highly suggest an Eden WT-400. Although they only go down to 4 ohms, if you're using a single cab, such as a 4x10 or 2x12 or somthing, it is great. I use one with my Ampeg SVT 410HLF and I couldn't be happier.
  4. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Hey Ryan, I've never tried the XM200, but I own the BM200 (the older blue carpeted ones) with a 15" driver in it. I like it alot, its got a good sound and has a good amount of power for small/medium sized gigs. I have one issue with it, it tends to be a bit boomy, especially indoors. I've got the complaint several times durring sound checks that "I can FEEL the bass, but I can't HEAR the bass." which is usually fixed by tweaking the EQ and what not...I believe this would be aliviated a bit by getting the 2x10 rather than the 15...other than that one issue, its a solid combo, built like a tank, and I'd give it a good recommendation. you'll definantly want to try out the 10's vs. the 15 to see which one suits you better though.
  5. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I tried both the 15 and 2-10 in the store and actually liked the 2-10 a bit better for overall balance of sound so I bought it. Usally I prefer the 15 but in the case of this combo the 2-10 sounded better to me, particularly when I walked out about 15 feet in front of it to check the sound.

I used it for a year and it was a great amp with no problems. I traded it in for a Mesa Walkabout Scout because I wanted something easier to cart around. That was my only complaint with the Yorkville-like most combo amps it was too heavy for me to carry alone for any distance and the Walkabout is about 20 lbs lighter (but way more expensive) But, I sure can't fault the Yorkville for quality, reliability and sound for the buck. They make very good amps and have an excellent warranty.

If you decide to go for a seperate head and cabinet the 400 watt Yorkville is a great choice. I used one on a gig once powering a 4-10 SWR cabinet and it was great. Good price on it too.
  6. I've had great experiences with Yorkville. Good sound, price and warranty. I've used a xs400 combo quite a bit (15") and bought an xs800H not too long ago. Love it.
  7. I just want to take a minute to thank all who have posted in response to my question, they were answered and then some :)

I was able to get out and around to a music store/pawn shop who deals in Yorkville, and I played a little on the 2-10" and I loved it. It sounded awesome, and the volume was on 2, and very loud. It even got the comment of a mid-aged couple who came in looking for watches, but on the way said "See mamma, I told you Jimmy Hendrix was still alive." It made my laugh, and my girl chuckle a bit.

I have decided to purchase the XM200 with the 2-10"s and purchase the 15" extension cab later on, when I need it for shows whenever that'll be, as right now, I'm flying solo.

Thanks again for all of your input, you all really helped me out,
  8. from my ears, the 15 version of the xm200 is EXTREMELY clear, with a lot of high end clarity. just playing an ibanez bass with a PJ pup configuration finger style made me say "damn, this sounds like a classical bass solo".
  9. jde303

Jun 8, 2005
    Ryan you will be happy with your choice

After reading all of this i decided not to sell my 2x10 ...just keep it for smaller venues (i can't seem to let some gear go :help:)

run the bagend + xm400H for outside jobs
  10. jde303

Jun 8, 2005
    Ryan you will be happy with your choice

After reading all of this i decided not to sell my 2x10 ...just keep it for smaller venues (i can't seem to let some gear go :help: )

run the bagend + xm400H for outside jobs
  11. jde303

Jun 8, 2005
    didn't mean to send the same thing 2x