Next Set Of Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RSalvador, Mar 1, 2006.

1. RSalvador

Nov 19, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    I’ve read and read and still don’t know which strings to try next. I’m using DR Nickel Lo Riders 45-125 on my Ibanez 5 string. They sound pretty good but I have these issues with them. 1. The G string is quieter, thinner sounding and brighter than the rest. 2. String noise is way too loud. 3. Very rough feel. 4. B string seems too floppy to me. 5. They are warm but when playing live I have to cut the bass, crank the mids and treble to get a punchy defined sound, which makes the string noise really come out and this is driving me crazy, so I’m done with them.

I know trying strings is just part of being a bass player to find your own setup but it would be nice to hit on something better than the last for the next set. I want warm, punchy, defined and not boomy with minimal string noise, if that means anything. (and doesn’t everybody?) On my bass I’m getting string noise, very rough feel, a little nasally and an uneven sound. Boomy on the B and too thin on the G.

I’m thinking about 1. DR Sunbeams 2. Smith Compressors 3. D’Addario Half Rounds 4. D’Addario Chrome Flats.
    Any input would be appreciated.
  2. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    SIT Silencers will fix yout ill's....Great pressure wound ground wounds but still look and sound like a round...very quiet...smooth out of the pack but get smoother as you play...great tone and if you get a bad one E-them and they will send a new pac no questions asked.I have used them a year and love them only had one dead string and they did what i said before.
  3. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
  4. I would vote for Thomastik Infeld Superalloys.

They don't sound that great when used at home, but in a band situation... lovely!