1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

next step bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcapote, Sep 28, 2009.

1. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    I know search but im looking for opinions on what might be good for my eclectic tastes, and have actually started narrowing it down some.

Im a newbie bass player. Started out with my Laguna lb224. found it to be the best sounding local bass sub $200 ( didnt hear of SX till i came here) and i was anxious to start playing. Im looking into moving up a bit to a bass that will be good for local bar shows and stuff. I play various genres of music from Punk, Hardcore, Oi, to Ska, to 90s rock (creed, matchbox 20, pearljam), to pantera, to classic deep purple, beatles. I am torn on what my next step should be. Im thinking I want to go Jazz in stead of P bass because I dont have very big hands and the smaller neck is probably more my style. Im kinda torn between should I get a nicer 4 string or go out for the 5 string? Ive been looking into Fender MIM 4 string Jazz basses, SX 5 strings with new wiring, pickups, etc. maybe stingrays. What do you think would make a better next step for me. Not looking to get into a 1K + bass until i get alot better so i will probably be lugging this one around for awhile, and its probably gonna be purchased used off here in the 400 and down range once i get my cash in order. any help in your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Id say a jazz is a great choice as I also have small hands. Check out the ibanez soundgears as well since they have a great neck for smaller hands too and you can get alot of tones out of them. Personally a MIJ Jazz bass would be a great choice if I were in your position.

3. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    If you have small hands, you definitely don't want to go for the Fender/Squier 5-string Jazz bass; it has a neck like a 2x4 with strings. If you want to go for a 5-string with a smaller neck, the Ibanez SR-305 and Schecter Stiletto Deluxe are both right in your price range. http://zZounds.com right now is having a clearance on some slightly higher Ibanez models that might be your speed too.

4. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    does the SR-305 sound alot better than the GSR200? because I tried the GSR200 when i bought the laguna and it sounded like ass to me.

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If you are looking at Fender MIM Jazz also take a look at the Squier Classic vibe Jazz IMHO just as good if not better all around compared to the MIM and for much shorter bucks. And it has a high mass bridge .

6. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
  7. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    if you go used you can probably grab a 500 series 5 string soundgear off ebay. Theyre rather nice with a good setup and strings.

8. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
  9. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Schecter Stiletto. Relatively cheap, versatile, pretty, and will last you a good while.