1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Next step in progressing as a bassist

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by progrmr, Mar 25, 2009.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've been playing for about 6 months now and taking lessons. My lessons have been only about learning some songs, at my direction.

Now that I've gotten a few songs and can play through a few all the way and feel confident in my technique I'm wondering what is the next step is towards becoming a "bassist" - taking that next step up from just learning to play songs and really getting know how to play the bass.

I'm going to ask my instructor what he recommends but thought I'd toss this out there for some TB opinions on the subject.

I have no knowledge of scales or music theory in general (some timing/reading music with the guitar) for the bass, no ear training, not able to read music etc.

I have a lot to learn but what's a good next step from covering songs and developing as a true bass musician??

2. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Learning to read music.

3. Like most intelligent folks I meet, you already know the answer.
    (and if you're like most of us when faced with a task that looks like a lot of work, you're secretly hoping you're wrong.)
    But, you're right.

4. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Picked up Mel bay's Electric Bass Method Grade 1...tried this once before and it didn't work out too well but with an instructor I think I can stick to it.

5. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
  6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Nah, just go start a band!