Next step up from a Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Aug 4, 2005.

1. I have a Cirrus 5 and while it is a beautiful and good sounding bass, I am not getting the warmth in the lows that I need and the attack is too short not enough sustain for my tastes.

I love the Ken Smith sound but really dont know where to start in coming up with $4000+ for a bass. I've never dumped that much on anything before. I really dont see how some of you do it. What is the next affordable step up from a Cirrus in the 1000-2000 range?
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Lackland USA, Fodera or Alembic.
  4. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Jerzy Drozd basic or excellency or if you have the money and want neck through, mastery. is the US Drozd distributor. His site can be found here: but it's currently being updated so not everything works.

And now here's a teaser pic of a red 5 string Mastery:

Depends on how much you want to spend but you can have just about any option on his basses.
  5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Once you leave the Cirrus range, you're pretty much stepping outside of production basses and into the high end/custom area. There are a few exceptions, but particularly with 6'ers (like the Cirrus I own), just about anything better than a Cirrus comes with a pretty big jump in price.
  6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    His post said $1k to $2K.
  7. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    $1-$2K, I'd look at the following used basses (especially if sustain is important)

Lakland USA
    Sadowsky Metro

Every one of those basses are very well made and will provide you with what you said you are looking for in terms of tone and sustain. I could probably add about another 20 manufacturers to it as well.

In the used market you can find one hell of a great bass for $1k-$2k
  8. Thanks ill look into this stuff
  9. Hmmm...

Your Cirrus isn't doing it for you? :confused:

While I wouldn't consider it a step up, but rather a lateral step, may I suggest an Ernie Ball Bongo?

I consider the Cirrus and the Bongo to be equal in every category, except sound which is subjective. They both sound great, but offer different flavors. :cool:

If you want warmth in your lows, a Bongo will give you that.

That preamp is amazing. Check one out.

Good luck.

BTW, I also own a Cirrus 5.

10. Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    Regarding Ken Smith basses, cheaper ones go for $2,300-$2,500.
  11. Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I was looking to get a Cirrus 5 about six months ago when the means came for me to get my Dingwall Z1. Having come off a Cirrus 4 I'll agree that they are great sounding basses. My Z1 is a '99 and came with Bart pups so I don't think it sounds warmer, but the bass overall has more sustain. The NTMB pre is great, but the hi-fi sound is probably not what you are looking for. I plan on upgrading to OEM FD3 pickups for more passive output and a more aggressive sound. It's another option, at least.